3: The one where the protagonist cleans up well

This is what I imagine them wearing ^

Song of the chapter: Perfect Places by Lorde

______

Ophelia's POV

A month passed by and rumours of me being a druggie are superseded by those of a girl in the Junior year getting caught in the janitor's closet having sex with a teacher. Since then, everyone in school has been placing bets on who that teacher is.

"It could be Mr. Thomas too, y'know?" Melody probes, putting on another coat of black nail polish on my toe nails.

"He is gay," Juniper deadpans.

"What! How do you know?" I ask. Hey, a girl needs a healthy dose of gossip!

"He was kissing dad's ass at the last PTA. It was so gross," she shudders.

"Max or Richard?" Melody quips.

"Max."

"Could be because he is the Senator?" I ask.

"Well, he certainly forgot that when he gave me an B on that surprise test he took," she rolls her eyes. "And... all done!" she exclaims, having french braided Melody's straight black hair to perfection.

I shut the novel I had been trying to read, yet hadn't turned a single page in over ten minutes.

"You look pretty, Mel!" I squeal, and she did. With flawless skin, high cheekbones and the beautiful black hair, Melody was a goddess.

"What time are Mark and Ajax getting here?" Juno asks once she's taken pictures of her masterpiece.

I tense hearing his name and bite on my lip. Whenever I saw Ajax, he'd ignore me. When I went to his place, his mom told me he was out for practice or running errands. I didn't have to be a spy to know that. Her apologetic eyes gave away how she wasn't happy with this either. At school, he carried his bag just so he didn't have to see me waiting by his locker. He didn't want to see me at all!

Melody and Juniper had noticed the distance and were convinced we'd be able to resolve everything tonight. They came to stay at my place for the weekend directly from school and Mark and hopefully Ajax would be joining us for the movie night.

Maybe when everyone gets busy, we can talk.

The bell rings and I race out of the room, jump to the ground floor, skipping stairs altogether and open the door in a record time just to find a couple of kids from school at the door and more loitering on the porch.

They murmur greetings my way and I stand shell shocked.

What the fuck?

"Hey, Phe! You're not wearing this to the party, right?" Markus says as soon as he makes his entrance, a pack of beers in his hand.

"Did you get a cooler or you want me to set these in the fridge?" he hollers from the kitchen. "Also, are Mel and Juno dressed the same as you? Was there a theme?"

I snap out of the shock of strangers entering my house uninvited and look down at what I'm wearing. The girls and I were in the most comfortable clothes we owned. I was wearing a pair of yellow Sponge Bob boxers and a grey tee-shirt that read 'FBI: Full Body Inspection'. I was sure it had a few holes here and there.

"Of course! It was supposed to be just us five! Why are all these people here?" I whisper. "No offence. Grab a drink and chill in the living room," I say awkwardly to the people who listened to my sad attempt at whispering.