Chapter 8 - Evan

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

I reach over and smack my alarm, shutting it off. Groggily, I throw the covers away from me. I catch a small whiff of eggs and bacon coming from downstairs.

I guess Mom works late today. I quietly walk down the hall the leads to my bedroom.

"Good morning sweetie!" Mom leans over and plants a kiss on my cheek. I silently eat my breakfast and scroll through my Instagram.

I didn't have very many posts on my profile, but what few I did have were pictures of trees from over the summer. I didn't have very many followers either, obviously.

"I have to work until twelve, so I won't be here tonight."

"Alright."

"I'll leave money so you can order pizza."

"Okay." I finish my breakfast and stand up, packing my bag and getting ready to leave.

"I mean it Evan, you need to eat. Also, don't forget to write your letters. You have an appointment with Dr. Sherman on Wednesday!"

"Okay Mom! I get it." I slip my backpack over my shoulder and walk out the door.

When I arrive at first period, I find Connor in the back of the class.

"Uh...hello." I anxiously sit down next to him, even though he's my friend. I don't really think he thinks of me as a friend though.

"Hey." I watched as he sketched in the margins of his notebook. I heard Connor mutter something under his breath, but I couldn't make out what he said.

"Pardon?" I asked.

"It was nothing, just a joke."

"Oh okay.."

A second of silence passes between us. I have this thought that keeps nagging at me, what if he said something about me?

"Connor, can you please tell me-"

He slams his fist down in the desk. The class and Ms. Chandler turn to look at him- to look at us.

"Why do you fucking care? You're not even my friend, you're probably just fucking with me! Like everyone else!" He grabbed his messenger bag and stormed out of the room.

I feel tears prick my eyes. I hunch over, sinking in my seat. Ms. Chandler goes after Connor. I can still feel the eyes of my peers on me. What did I do wrong? Why did he suddenly get all angry? All I did was ask what he said.

But that made me lose my only friend.

Lunch. I never liked lunch. At least it was bearable with someone else to eat with. I wonder where Connor is. Is he eating alone? Is he eating at all?

As I'm eating my Sunbutter and jelly sandwich, I can't shake the feeling that I'm being watched. I try to focus on eating.

Out of the corner of my eye I see a pair of juniors walking over to my table. That other few liners at my table cowered from the much larger students.

Both of the juniors stopped in front of me and sat down. The blonde addressed me. "Hey, we saw that you were hanging out with the druggie." I make no comment. The brunette speaks.

"Hey stripes, we're talking to you." It takes all my strength to swallow the bite of my sandwich.

"He has a name." My voice is shaky, unsure.

"Who? The druggie?" Both of them are in my face now. A few students from around the lunchroom have turned to spectate the scene.

"Y-Yeah... his name is C-Connor Murphy." Why did I say his last name? That's weird. Unless I'm overthinking it? What do these guys want?

"Connor Murphy? I think I've heard that last name before," says the blonde. Oh no. No, no, no, no, no. I hope they don't know anyone else with the last name Murphy. I don't want to drag anyone else into this situation.

"Yeah, there's a Zoe Murphy in my fifth period class." Both of them snicker.

"It must suck to have a psycho for a brother." They laugh. Loudly. It seems like the entire room has turned to watch me now. Everyone else at my table has moved away.

"Y-You must be thinking of s-someone else. Connor doesn't have a sister."

"Really? Well we might just have to ask her ourselves." With that, they walked away from my table, laughing and making jokes. I buried my face in my hands. Reluctantly, despite my urge to remain where I was, I threw my lunch away. I don't have an appetite anymore. I hope they don't talk to Zoe or Connor. I don't want Zoe to think I'm a bad person, and Connor is already mad at me.

I turn my head and see the pair from before leaving the lunch room. We still had fifteen minutes left. I'm worried they're going to look for Connor or Zoe. I try to pull my mind off it. Surely they were just joking about it?