Citrus and Vanilla

Vanessa's POV:

I laid on my bed after Brooke Lynn left. Was it weird that I already missed her? What's this girl doing to me? I smiled while thinking of the way she smells; citrus and vanilla, the way she wrinkles her nose when she smiles, and the cute way she says my name. I think about her skin, how soft and perfect it is. Its cream color pigmented lightly pink. This girl had me under her spell, and I was terrified. At the same time though, I loved it.

I was deep in thought when my phone started to ring. My heart lightened when I saw it was Brooke Lynn.

"Hey!" I said, answering the phone.

"Hey babes. I just finished speaking with my mom. Do you want to come over for dinner tonight?" Brooke Lynn sounded hopeful.

"I'd love that. What time?"

"We normally eat dinner at 6 so 5:30?"

"Sounds good, boo. See you then."

We hung up and my new mission was to figure out what I was going to wear. I wanted her parents to like me. I settled on a simple knee length skirt and a tank top. I wanted to look presentable. I made my way over at 5:30 and rang the doorbell. Brooke Lynn's mom answered the door with a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Hi, Mrs. Hytes!" I smiled my sweetest 'please love me' smile.

"Hi, Vanessa," what was that in her voice? Stiffness? Hm. "Brooke Lynn is upstairs; she's still getting ready. You can go on up."

I walked my way up the stairs and knocked on Brooke Lynn's door.

"Come in!" she said.

But I decided to have some fun. I knocked again.

"Uhm, come in!"

I knocked again. The next time she said "come in" she sounded like she was getting agitated. I finally had some mercy and I opened the door and went in.

"I'm HERE!" I said laughing.

"You bitch." Brooke Lynn laughed, "I was like uhmm I said come in?"

Brooke Lynn got up and gave me a hug. Citrus and vanilla surrounded me and I breathed it in.

"You look beautiful." She murmured into my ear.
"Thank you." I smiled and kissed her cheek.

Brooke Lynn sat at her vanity and was doing her makeup. I watched as she coated her eyelashes in mascara with gentle hands.

"Hey, Vanessa!" I heard from the hallway. It was Brooke's mom.

"Yes?" I said, getting up and walking over to the doorway.

"Vanessa, dear, I'd love for you to come help me set the table." There that smile was again. It just didn't reach her eyes, it almost looked fake.

"Sure." I smiled, "see you downstairs, beauty queen." I winked at Brooke.

I get downstairs to help Mrs. Hytes. I started with place mats, then plates. When I went back for the silverware, Mrs. Hytes stopped me.

"Vanessa, can we talk?" she said, it didn't really sound like an option.

"Of course, ma'am."

"Vanessa, I don't think you should be friends with my daughter."

I was taken aback. What? What did Brooke Lynn's mom have against me?
"I just don't think you're a very good influence on her. I'm sure you're," she paused, "lovely, but I just want what's best for my daughter."

I was shocked. What had I done to make her say these things? I felt tears threatening my eyes, but I fought them. I couldn't speak. There was a sob in my throat waiting to escape. I just stared at her, and she stared at me.

Finally, I choked back the sob. "With all due respect, ma'am, you don't really know me."

"I don't think I need to. I can just tell you're not a good fit for our Brooke Lynn."

"Mom?!"

I turned around and Brooke was standing in the archway.

"Brooke Lynn," her mom started.

"No. Stop. Why would you say these things to Vanessa? You said you would try!"

I glanced down at my feet. I couldn't stay here. I went to stop towards the door, but Brooke Lynn rushed towards me, grabbed my hand and squeezed it.

"Mom, that's extremely rude. You don't even know Vanessa. She's amazing. She's a good friend." She squeezed my hand again.

"Brooke Lynn, it's okay." I whispered, "I'll go." I gave her hand a squeeze and then let go. I walked towards the door. I looked back with an apologetic smile to Brooke Lynn, and home I went.

I held back the tears until I was inside my house. My mom was still away so I went to the fridge and grabbed a bottle of wine. I went up to my room, drank my wine, and cried.

I felt so hurt.

I laid there crying and praying that my only friend here wouldn't let her mom control her decision to be my friend until I fell asleep.