a girl's new life

Charity stood in awkward silence, although the unknown did not seem to mind as he stared at her.
They were in the room the room that was given to him. A grand circular room with dark velvet curtains and a matching bed in the middle.  He laid on his side, propping his head up with his hand.
"You look good in red." He complimented with a straight face.  She had changed from her grey travelling frock to a long red dress that left her shoulders bare.
"May I ask a question?"
"You don't need permission to ask a question." He told her sitting up. Charity wished he didn't.  Even though she stood before him, she felt tiny under his gaze.
"Am I...am I now your slave?"
He quietly deliberated on the question.
"I guess you are since you have to do everything I ask you to."
Charity's heart plummeted. A small part of her had hoped that he would free her. She wondered if her fate now was worse than picking apples for all of eternity.
"Don't look so down, it's a big step up from being the kingdom's slave, now only one person can boss you around."
Charity looked up to his blank face.
"May I sit?" She asked curtly, a little ticked off but too afraid to show it.
"You don't need my permission to sit either, let loose a bit."
"For a guy who lived in a tree for so long, you sure adapt to comfort quickly." Charity muttered.
The unknown raised his eyes mildly surprised.
"I...was following orders. I'm sorry. "
His surprise melted into a grin.
"Good good, I like it." He said lying back down.
...

The king stared at his daughter, skeptic. They both sat at their favourite spot. On the marble bench in the garden. It was a windy, dim day. The days were getting shorter and colder.
"So that man you came with is the unknown." The king said in a tone that showed that he did not believe it.
"I understand your concern father but I assure you, it is him. I've seen him...change right in front of me. And he can be intimidating when he wants to be."
The king hummed. He did not doubt Delphine, he would be a fool to do so, but it was just a little hard to take in.
"Anyways, you shouldn't let that bother you. We'll know if he's the real or not soon enough. I think if it's for the best if we investigate Toragon. The unknown revealed that a particular goddess of darkness is probably aiding them.
"goddess of darkness?"
Delphine smiled cynically.
"It turns out that Toragon got the idea of seeking the aid of a deity before we did. The unknown stated that she had a thing for the destruction of mankind."
He sighed in exasperation.
"All this is way over my head."
Delphine knew this. Her father was a man who sought comfort in rationality and realism, so deities and magic did not sit well with him.
However, it excited Delphine. Higher beings, the game of war; she could feel the adrenaline pumping through her non stop since she started her journey to search for the unknown.
"It's fine father, you have me."