a god and a goddess

It was late in the evening, but the last thing on Delphine's mind was to retire. Delegates from kingdoms that Orith had alliances with had come to discuss the unnerving occurrences in Toragon and her father had insisted that she be a part of the meeting.
Her heels clacked noisily as she hurried into the throne room. By the time she got there, most of the delegates had settled down. She bowed before them.
"I am incredibly sorry for arriving late my lords. Please forgive me."
An elderly man that sat beside the king laughed.
"You're too formal child, please sit down." She smiled and nodded. She had to be in their good graces for when she became queen.
As soon as she sat down, the doors to the rooms were flung open.
A tall, willowy woman with dark skin and sleek black hair walked in with a grin taped on her face. She was clothed in black robes and she held a metallic box.
"Who are you? How did you get in?!"
"Forgive me my king." She said bowing. "Allow me to introduce myself; I am Rowena goddess of troubled thoughts."
Delphine immediately stiffened. She held the arms of her chair tightly fearing that she would run away despite herself. The king recognized the name too and was tended but the rest of the delegates stared at each other confused.
"I brought you a gift my king, I hope you like it."
Rowena opened the lid of the box and brought out a disembodied head. The look of unimaginable pain drawn on his face almost looked comical.
The delegates began to scream and panic.
Delphine's initial fear was simmering into hate. That was the man she sent as a spy. She promised him that he and his family would never lack if he adequately fulfilled her request.
"The poor soul. He kept screaming for his wife and child." Rowena said looking genuinely sad for a quick moment, till her face twisted into sadistic satisfaction.
"I can't wait to watch your pride disappear into despair when I'm done with you."
Delphine's heart leapt from her chest but she steadied herself.
"Don't threaten her while I'm here Rowena."
Delphine had never been so glad to hear the unknown's voice as she was in that moment.
Rowena's shoulders stiffened and she almost looked scared.
"Ifrit! It's been too long."
She said turning back to the unknown with a dazzling smile.  Charity who stood beside him froze instantly.
She had panicked when she first saw the unknown because his greatest was terrifying. When she looked at Rowena, she could only see agony personified.
Rowena stared at her in new found fascination.
"That's rare, a human that can see the real me even when I don't show it. Ifrit, you sure can pick 'em."
The unknown ignored Rowena and turned to Charity who, unlike the first time was petrified into silence.
"I'm going to put you to sleep now." He tapped her head lightly and she passed out. He laid her down gently.
"So Rowena, what are you doing here?"
"I just wanted to see if they actually got you; you hate interfering with human conflict." Rowena replied, her hands behind her back in a childlike manner.
"It isn't exactly human conflict if you're involved, is it?" The unknown stared at her nonchalantly.
"True, true." She said giggling as she twirled to the dumb struck delegates, Delphine and her father. "A war between gods and men both intertwined; A symphony of destruction. I love the sound of that!" She was throughly entertained.
The unknown looked unamuzed.
"Ifrit has more power I admit but we're talking about discord! I'll never loose."
The unknown heaved a sigh of exasperation as he leaned lower to pick Charity up.
"If you're done please leave, I really don't have the strength to put up with a child goddess right now."
Rowena's eyes twitched in annoyance but her smile did not falter.
"We'll see soon Ifrit. You'll regret calling me that." Her skin began to melt and her body shrank into a small puddle. The smell of burning flesh hung thickly in the air. The box still in tact.
For a while, no body spoke.
"W...why didn't you stop her!" One of the delegates screamed finally finding his voice.
The unknown stared at him coldly. It effectively shut him up.
"Ifrit...may I call you that?" Delphine asked.
"You can call me whatever you like princess. "
She nodded.
"Now you've seen her after so long, can you beat her?"
He sighed out loud wishing he stayed back in his tree and slept passed the century.
"In a standard fight, easily but I don't think it's going to be that way." He said and with slow strides, walked out of the room with Charity in his arms.