1- Tests suck big time

Mara.

Flashback

AGE 6.

"Get in there Mara. Don't make me ask you again."

" I will not go in there mom. I don't want to go!"

A permanent scowl was pasted on her face. " Mara! Get in there or you'll get a beating and I won't spare you this time." She dragged my arm towards the hospital doors to get another test run on me."

I hated the syringes filled with icky blue liquid that always made me feel sleepy. I didn't even want to be here. There was tears in my eyes as I looked at the hospital doors of doom with fear.

Vivian continued to drag me, not caring whether her sharp blood-red nails would leave bruises on my skin.

"Stephan." She nodded as she entered.

"Vivian."

"Is everything ready?"

" Of course ma'am."

"Good. Lay her on the table and let's begin."

I was tied to the table looking at her in fear.

" Mom? What are you doing? Why are you bringing that near me? Did I do something wrong? I'm sorry mom,  please let me leave. I'll listen to you from now on. I promise." I was crying now.

I looked into her eyes and saw nothing but pure disgust.

"Shut up and earn me billions you strange alien. It's a pity your real parents didn't want you, else why would they drop you as a child?".

"You knew my parents? Are they happy? Are they fine? Do they miss me as much as I miss them? Why can't they come and get me? Are they ill?"

"Shut up! Ugh- you disgust me." She jabbed the syringe in as I screamed.

"AAAH! Mom stop! Stop! It hurts so much!" My face scrunched up in pain.

FLASHBACK ENDS HERE.

That was my first test and as a child I hated hospitals. I never got past the fear of being stuck with painful needles and being poked and prodded like a lab rat.

But now I stood here with dead black eyes ad I turned to face her.

"Let's just get this over with." I sighed.

I couldn't believe that she had the audacity to smirk at me.

"You're a fast learner. Come on"

She tried to grab me but I yanked my hand back. She scowled but said nothing.

"Stephan."

" Vivian. Good to see you again. I have good news."

"Spill."

" The New York Times wants to report on our progress. Soon enough the space scientists will be lining up our doors. Good thing we finally found out were she's from. I thought that place was destroyed."

"Shut up! She's right outside the door or have you forgotten she has super hearing?"

"Of course, my bad."

"Call Sanders Tell her to meet me in my office in 20 minutes and set up an interview while you're at it."

"Yes ma'am."

She'd walked out and glanced at me. I heard everything but I feigned ignorance.There was no use getting angry at something I already knew. She hid secrets from me about my real parents and I know that she knows where I'm really from but it's pointless asking 'cause she'll never tell me.

"Put a smile on that face and don't you dare frown. We're going to your high school after this."

"Another school?"

"Yes. And what did I say about asking me stupid questions?"

"Not to."

"Then don't ask me stupid questions."

I nodded and looked out the window. She obviously knew everything about me. The scars on my body was a real testament to that.

She used the one  thing that could make me weak.

My parents.

What point did it make anyway? My redemption wasn't coming anytime soon and now I had to brave another high school.

Great.