| 6

I just got in from work, ripping the company cap from my hair I flopped down on the sofa which sunk quickly under my weight. Pulling my Polo over my head I absentmindedly opened my ancient laptop, powering it up to check my emails to see if my e-shedule arrived.

It was slow and took almost five minutes to finally turn on, but I had gotten it for basically peanuts. When I had changed from my work clothes into shorts and an old T-shirt, and came back to the sofa to check the progress, the laptop was still booting up.

It was one of the things I'd bought at a yard sale last year when I moved into the apartment. I had made my way to the city with basically nothing, all I had was a few clothes, toiletries and a few dollars that had bought me food for a few days before I had to stay at a women's center while I looked for a job.

At the time Cumberland seemed like a blessing, and I spent almost a year. Gritting my teeth when I felt like screaming at the injustice. All in the name of saving for my education and keeping a roof over my head, after I was back on my feet I made sure to visit the shelter when I could and take whatever groceries I could buy, as a gesture of gratitude.

I was scrolling through my emails when I heard quarreling. Usually I minded my business and I especially hated confrontations since I tried to avoid it like the plague. But after there was a loud banging that shook the paper thin walls, my suspicions were confirmed.

It was from next door, and judging by the low calm reply to the frenzied, loud female with a distinct accent. I knew it was Rakim. My mind started going crazy, coming up with scenarios;

Lovers quarrel, scorned ex lover? Baby momma? Wait did he have kids?

I listened as the door was flung open, banging loudly on the wall before ricocheting in a slow creak of the old hinches . The loud noise caused me to jump, I began to get angsty. The angry stomp of feet crossing my doorway was heard and against my better judgement I ran to my door flinging it open just in time to see a petite dark-skin, glaring in my general direction.

I swung my head to the left, my hair swishing to block my vision, I brushed it away absentmindedly and focused on Rakim who was standing in the hallway, his face emotionless as the elevator door dinged close.

When his eyes met mine, I watched as a strange emotion flashed in them, before disappearing quickly. His features changed from expressionless and unfeeling to something akin to tiredness.

Before I could comprehend what I was doing I was walking towards him, my feet carrying me across the carpet quickly at first then slowing as uncertainty clouded my mind.

What was I doing?

"Hey," I watched as his eyes seemed to focus on me, he looked a little out of it. He stared too long at certain things, like how he had glanced down at my bare feet and my shirt for more than a few seconds. It was like he was lost in his mind and I didn't like it, I recognized the look and at the moment being lost in his mind was the last thing he needed.

"Is everything okay?" I continued, the words finally seemed to register and he looked at me, a tad bit more awareness in his eyes before turning away to walk towards his apartment.

He paused before turning to look at me, he seemed to consider it for a while before speaking, "Come." He said evenly. It wasn't a question, it didn't sound like a question. And I didn't even pause to question it, before common sense could take over. I followed him, a little too quickly into his apartment.

"Close the door."

I don't know why I automatically did what he said, maybe it's the way he said it... smooth and sure. That was what he wanted, and I automatically wanted it too. I closed the door softly behind me, turning again to face him, shuffling on my feet nervously while the weight of my actions dawned on me.