fourteen

the gilinsky household has basically become my second home.

i spend most of my nights there and i'm always welcome to stay for meals too.

i'd say it's all down to being kenzie's best friend and growing a motherly bond with natalia, but it's also because jack and i haven't been able to leave each other's side.

we've gotten to know one another so well and to be honest, being around him is annoyingly one of the main things i look forward to everyday. but i'd never tell him that.

we still hook up regularly but he's never really an cocky asshole anymore. and even though she hasn't said much, kenzie definitely suspects something.

"hey, do you guys wanna head to the underground after school today?" i suggested.

i settled down on the free dining chair between them with my breakfast.

"unfortunately, jack can't" natalia answered for them. "he has an assignment due tomorrow that he hasn't started and he knows that he has to get it done if he wants to actually graduate".

jack groaned a loud and slouched down in his chair, messing with the lighter in his hand.

"i can still go" kenzie chimed in. "because thankfully, i don't leave my work to the last minute like he does".

before i could respond, jack stared at me with pleading eyes. it didn't take much for me to give in and then show my best puppy dog eyes to kenzie.

she rolled my eyes, "fine, whatever. we won't go, stay and help him".

natalia gave jack and i a worrying look as she continued to prepare today's school lunches. she's smart enough to understand that there's something going on between her son and i.

"don't worry natalia" i assured her. "i'll make sure he gets it done. i've done mine already so he can read through my notes".

she smiled at my words and nodded as jack leant towards my ear.

"we're not actually going to do homework, are we?" he asked in a whisper.

he slid his hand up my thigh underneath the table, making me jolt and slap it away before anyone noticed.

"yes, we are" i corrected. i flashed him a grin in contrast to his defeated look.

"okay, tv off you two" natalia said to ayden and jasmine in the living room. "time for school".

i finished the last bite of my eggs as we all started to grab our backpacks. i handed jack his as he held a piece of toast in his mouth and placed an unlit cigarette behind his ear.

"mark's here!" ayden loudly announced from the doorway.

"fuck sake" jack complained. "why is he here again?".

"jack, be nice" his mother warned, adding sandwiches to the paper bags lined up in front of her.

"what's the problem?" kenzie zipped up her backpack. "he brings us free food everytime he's here".

"he forgot the doughnuts this time" jasmine walked in to say.

"okay nevermind, why is he here again?" kenzie switched.

natalia shook her head at the twins, "if you must know, since i'm off work this morning, mrs rothseed is babysitting gabriel and we're spending the day together".

"so is this one actually going to stick around?" kenzie muttered, walking out of the kitchen with her lunch bag.

"yeah right, they never stick around" jack scoffed in response and did the same.