Chapter 3

"Ah shit, they lost her." Itachi swears under his breath. His plan to sell Dororo to the Asakura fails.

For now.

Itachi saw everything from a far. Riding a horse, he follows the two samurais who were chasing Dororo. Until an unknown old man appears and performs an unbelievable skill. Itachi curses, if not because of that man they already caught Dororo. He watches from a distance as Dororo and the old man leaves. It will be easy peasy if he emerges and trick Dororo to come with him but Itachi feels that the monk might sense his motives and knowing he doesn't stand a chance against the geezer, he takes his leave and goes to Asakura Domain and set another plan to capture Dororo.

The key to the mountain of wealth he's been pursuing for years.

-xxx-

Biwamaru and Dororo separates near the entrance of Daigo Domain. The travelling monk is kind and wise, something Dororo finds amusing as they traverse together. She tells him where she came from and as her life savior, Dororo does not have a heart to tell him lies. She tells him stories from her childhood, that she's from a bandit clan and the only daughter of the bandit leader. Biwamaru only listen in silent, nodding appropriately throughout her story. The girl became somber when she talks about her late mother but returns to her cheerful self saying she can see her mother whenever she faces a mirror and in that way, she's reminded that her mama is always with her, not just physically but in spirit. When Dororo talks about her father, Biwamaru can tell the equal love coming from the child for her parents. The glaring difference however is that Dororo feels betrayed by her father when he decided her fate to get married for their clan's benefit.

"Child, I am not telling you this just to make you feel better," Biwamaru speaks and Dororo is cut off from talking. "What your father did is the best option not just for your clan but also for you. You were born as a girl, it would not be too complicated if you're a boy."

Her mind flashbacks on the time she poses as a boy. Living a nomadic lifestyle, her parents insisted that while she's still growing, Dororo will present herself as a boy for protection. But they know that they cannot hide the truth forever.

"And you came from a bandit clan. Your father saw an opportunity for you to have a brighter future by marrying a future Daimyo. It's like hitting two birds with one stone. Saving your clan and saving you." The old man continues. He understands the girl's feelings but as someone who can see reasons from both sides clearly, Biwamaru very much grasps Dororo's father's intention.

Dororo bows down contemplating. No matter how much she hates to admit it, the monk has a point.

After Biwamaru leaves her on the entrance of the Domain, she thanked him and bid a goodbye. All the while still hoping they will meet again.

-xxx-

He is on an assembly but his mind is on another dimension. A weekly convocation about the village's status where his presence should be dominant. Hyakkimaru can hear the official's voice while giving a weekly report as the others listens intently to the man speaking. Gathered around the wooden table are the Domain's officials including the Daimyo and his two sons. Hyakkimaru and Tahomaru are sitting parallel with each other while their father sits on the center. Hyogo unleashes his fifth yawn and Mutsu begs him to stop.

"The crops in the northern part of the village needs attention." one of the officials stated.

"How is the main water supply?" Lord Kagemitsu inquires.

"About that, aniue and I made a plan." Tahomaru stands and spread a large scroll in the middle of the table. Everyone looks at is in disbelief.

"Aniue, it's your turn.." Tahomaru whispers to his older brother but Hyakkimaru's eyes are glued on the table.