Chapter 16

Just as Hyakkimaru asked, Hyogo searches for Tahomaru and his sister. He had a hard time escaping the castle, running away with concealing his identity behind a shinobi mask. He makes his way alone in the woods riding a horse, probing a possible route for him to pass and saunter the southern border without being sighted by anyone.

From a distance, he saw incoming horses. He speeds up his horse upon spotting who it is.

"Aneue! Young master!" Hyogo calls. He saw his sister's welcoming smile as the group paused on the road. Tahomaru waves a hand and Hyogo's eyes glimmers in relief knowing that they are both safe and alive. He frowns noticing how the young master is badly injured and immediately asks the samurai escort to fetch the local doctor and bring him to the castle at once.

"It's fine, Hyogo..I feel better now." Tahomaru assures but the samurai still goes on his way. He then glances at Mutsu. "Your sister here needs medical attention too."

Mutsu gives him a surprised look and staggers. "I..I'm fine, as long as you're.."

"No," Tahomaru disapproves firmly. Hyogo is left dumbfounded.

"Eh, if you don't mind, both of you don't look so well after all." the taller man says and chuckles nervously. There is something in the air that isn't normal between the two.

After that, the trio goes back to the castle where they are met by Lady Nui and the other servants. Lady Nui is running anxiously towards her son, snatching him with her hands right after he steps on the ground. Tahomaru smiles at his mother as she checks his bloodied, tattered armor and muddied face.

"Tahomaru," Lady Nui holds his face. A worried mother who is so relieved that her son has come back. "I couldn't sleep waiting and thinking of you and your brother, don't you ever do something reckless again." she cries. The bags under her eyes show how much rest she needs to get thinking about her sons day and night. Tahomaru nods apologetically and whispers a quiet 'sorry' before she locks him in an embrace like nothing in the world could ever separate him from her.

Meanwhile, the samurai that fetch the doctor returns with Kaname. He scurries holding a bag of medical equipment and herbs and approaches Mutsu.

"Jukai-sensei couldn't come so he sent me. He's busy preparing the clinic for the war." Kaname explains and proceeds to heal Mutsu.

Their attention shifts seeing the daimyo and his right-hand man passing by. He stops and stares at his wife and son upon knowing Tahomaru has returned. Lady Nui stares back at her husband with a gaze that could translate that no matter what he says or does, she will not give Tahomaru to him and no way in hell she will allow the daimyo to punish her youngest son in this condition.

Lord Kagemitsu squints at his son and marches forward. Lady Nui blocks him and Tahomaru could only hide his face. Hyogo and Mutsu tenses while Kaname minds his own business but is also silently observing the incoming family drama.

"Where have you been, Tahomaru?" the daimyo asks sternly, ignoring his wife's glares.

Tahomaru glances at him behind his mother. "I attacked the Asakura's first camp to help aniue look for Dororo." he replied bluntly.

Lord Kagemitsu's nose scrunches. "How foolish. Weren't you thinking about the result and your possible failure? Attacking the enemy without anyone's help?!"

"And who would help me?" Tahomaru meets his eyes. "A father that doesn't understand the feelings and thoughts of his own children?"

With this, Lord Kagemitsu's eyes grow. He cannot believe that for the first time, one of his sons dared to disrespect him. His jaw clenches and furiously raise a hand in an attempt to grab Tahomaru and teach him a lesson but Lady Nui spreads her arms to stop him.