Chapter 13

Tahomaru arrived at one of Asakura's camp, lurking and waiting for someone to interrogate. He's hiding behind the trees and bushes carefully clutching his sword in his hand. He watches the patrolling guards on duty and scans the area carefully. There are fifteen to twenty men in the camp based on his calculation. Tahomaru listens to the surroundings and keeps his presence concealed to the best of his ability. Neither he and his brother are the best to work behind the shadows but Tahomaru believes that his aniue is a lot better than him in this matter.

Hyakkimaru is a known genius in their domain, the heir of their clan, the person he looked up to. His patience and calm exterior bring him a menacing presence causing everyone to cower at his stance. But little did everyone knows how he got his name.

Demon of Daigo.

-xxx-

Roughly five years ago, Lord Kagemitsu assigned his two sons on their very first war mission. It was considered a training for his heir as well, a thirteen-year-old boy said to be talented just like his father in his prime. Tahomaru at that time was a snotty-brat, jealous of his older brother's acknowledgment and skills.

Why does it have to be always him? Tahomaru rolls his eyes, a twelve-year-old boy pouting behind his father and brother. Their father have always favored his eldest son, his pride and joy yet also his greatest weapon. While the second son remains to be the second-best. He had zero memory of when his father praised him just like his brother. Granted, Tahomaru respects his aniue, he cares for him and idolizes him, but sometimes, he cannot help but feel jealous on the way their father focuses so much about him as if he never existed.

It's because your brother is the heir of the land, and your father, the daimyo needs to guide him personally. His mother keeps on telling him. But Tahomaru was a child desperate for the same level of attention his father is giving freely to his brother. His understanding was not mature enough to fully comprehend what his mother is telling him. Tahomaru, however, is glad that his mother never made him question his worth, she has made him feel he is loved and cared about, same with his brother.

Tahomaru, follow your brother's commands. The daimyo says before they depart. He even

whispered something to Hyakkimaru that only the two of them could hear. Favoritism.

Together with them is a band of samurais led by his brother. Hyakkimaru notices his gaze and looks at him, wondering.

"Is there a problem, Tahomaru?" His aniue asks.

"Of course none." Tahomaru pouts and looks away. But Hyakkimaru knows better.

"If ever you're reluctant to go with me, I can ask father."

Part of him is aware that his brother is only worried about him but it irks Tahomaru to some degree and throws a nag.

"What do you think of me? A coward? Do not underestimate me, aniue!"

Hyakkimaru has a confused face and watches as his younger brother marches forward past him.

-xxx-

Tahomaru, don't go far from me.

Tahomaru, be alert.

Tahomaru, where are you going?

"Tahomaru,"

He stomps his foot on the ground unable to stop his irritation. Tahomaru glares at his brother. They are in a camp and it is night time. The samurais with them are surprised by his actions but he did not care.

"Stop bossing me around! I'm not a kid!"

Tahomaru runs away leaving Hyakkimaru speechless. He immediately asks a samurai to follow his brother and make him return once he cools his head.