preface

PREFACE.—
( mutant and proud )
YOU ARE NEVER ALONE.

 ❞

Maeve Locklear clearly remembered how she was able to figure out she was a mutant.

She looked normal—tan skin, wavy brown hair, big brown eyes—no abnormalities to be found on the surface. At first, Maeve didn't know what a mutation was or that she had one. She didn't realize that she was able to do much of anything until she accidentally set herself on fire. She felt absolutely nothing; in fact, she could manipulate that fire to do whatever she wanted. She would usually use it practically, like to light a cigarette, a nasty habit she developed after losing her father. Unfortunately, it didn't stop there. She seemed to have this capability to control all of the elements: fire, earth, water, and air.

At sixteen, she turned to her parents for some understanding of why she was this way. She remembered talking to her father about it for the first time, and how his eyes lit up with joy as she demonstrated her skill to manipulate the elements. He explained to her their family history, how children like her would only happen every few generations, and how rare it was that she was able to do those things. He praised her for how special she was and told her that she had the power to do amazing, amazing things. Then, he died.

So, Maeve kept this little secret to herself, promising to only use it when absolutely necessary. She finished high school, which seemed to be the worst years of her life so far, and like many graduates Maeve had looked forward to university as a beacon of hope. She planned to make friends and move on from the horrors of high school. Alas, that was not the case. Yet again, Maeve found a way to isolate herself completely. She devoted herself to her work nonstop, even when there wasn't any work left to do. After four years, she finished university and became a nurse. Terribly basic, but it was an easy way to get right into the workforce. However, after lots of talks with her mother, she decided to take a year off for herself. She took all that time to work so hard that she felt that she deserved a little break.

However, she didn't realize that this break would be short lived, because in less than a day, she would meet Charles Xavier: a man who she would find would hold the key to figuring out so much about herself and her 'mutation', as he called it.

this is a little rough, but im just too excited and want to publish as soon as possible. hope you enjoy~ xoxo