Chasing One

(Freya Milano)

Red and thick liquid stains my wrists, sticky.  I grunt, clenching my teeth for not being careful.  I’m never careful in twitching the veins to make the blood rushing for the nice feeling that I feel when the blood oozing in strong pressure as if teasing my fangs, tongue, and the whole mouth before it goes down my throat. 

But it doesn’t feel as good as the real blood of human.  Damn you Alessandro! If it’s not because of him, I’d not penetrate my fangs into some disgusting and poor animals’ veins which are nothing compare to humans’. 

Blood bag is an option for me most of the time.  But that’s not fresh and there’s no thrill of the blood rushing like in humans veins.  Drinking from blood bag makes me feel like a baby being fed with milk in a bottle, not comparable to breastfeed. 

I dip my hands into the lake, washing the blood stain off my wrists and enjoying the freshness of the water.  It must be good being drown in the lake forgetting the fact that I can never feel how good it feels being in natural place and let the nature restore my energy and reduce the stress. 

No, I won’t ever feel that anymore.  Being a vampire is nothing like human, all plain.  Every emotion and feel inside isn’t natural.  They work like a switch that I can turn on or off anytime.  

Real vampires live on the feels and emotions of humans.  And how do we do it? The best way is by drinking their blood.  By that, the rush of emotions and feels will fill in as we drink from the veins.  We can feel the adrenaline and whatever the humans feel as we dry them out.

The only good thing about being a vampire has been robbed from me.  I used to live like how a real vampire should be but my brother never ceases to put me back in track.  He sure makes it his life mission to keep me sane.  I know how to control myself not to kill them but he’s persistent about taking blood from human as less as possible.

If a vampire could be a saint, Alessandro matches the criteria of one.  He drinks an ounce of blood from blood bag per day only enough to make him in control and fulfill the need.  All his life, he’s dedicated his time to the good of human kind, being their protector and savior in any humanly way possible; doctor, soldier, and more. 

I thought there would be a period of time when he’d be bored of being good because it seems so boring to me being that good considering what we really are.  Actually that’s ridiculous to me.  But Alessandro isn’t me.  I’m absolutely not him either.  I can’t be living the way he lives.  If only I didn’t promise to make things right, I’d not agree to his terms. 

Life sucks already since the day I decided to be a vampire and it couldn’t suck worse than the fact that I have to live it the way Alessandro does.  I wonder how he does this lifestyle for over 500 hundred years. 

I turn around at the cracking of a weapon caught by my acute hearing. “Shit!” I curse right at a bullet penetrates my hand.  Blood is oozing out of the wound. “Damn it!” I just cleaned my hands and now I get them bloody again. 

I pull the bullet out of my hand roughly.  The sides are scratching my skin, causing the wound wider. “It’ll be your fault if I need human blood now to recover.  You shed my blood!” I shout at the person holding the gun. 

“Sorry, I’m doing midnight patrol.” Alessandro stands beside me. “Go home Freya! I won’t tell you twice.” He blends in the dark with all those dark outfit, black shirt and jeans. 

I scoff.  My hand is playing with the wooden bullet that I took out of the back of my left hand.  There’s this sting and burning sensation when the surface touch my skin.  Vervain, it can’t be any other than that. 

Staring at the gun on his hand, I swing my hand in a sudden snatching the gun and with no second thought I shoot him on the legs twice. 

“How does that feel huh?” I smirk, seeing him groan in pain and slowly bend on his knees. “I’ll keep the gun. I’m going to be your partner in crime, right?” I wink.  I never use a gun before, it’s quite effective though. “Wow it’s pretty cool toy.” 

I can hear his struggling breathing while taking out the bullets of his tight.  He’s growling and panting.  My sight sees how he scars deep his own flesh.  Using his finger, he fractures the tissues around the wound and stops at every burning touch that makes his fingers jolt. 

“Need a hand?” I tease him.  I tap his shoulder and he slaps my hand off him. “Or my blood? Brother, you seem struggling, too much for a vampire.”

His chest is heaving, eye staring sharp at me and the veins around his eyes are popping out around them, blackish blue.  The muscles on his arms are flexing but I don’t expect him to make a move with that condition.  Or so I thought wrong to underestimate him. 

With the clink of bullets hit the water surface, he pushes me to the edge of the lake until we both are drowning.  I’m reaching for the collar of his shirt, up for the fight that he proposes by doing the harsh grabbing on my arm and twisting me. 

I look down and see the weak spot on his wounded thigh which still recovers slowly and blood is seeping through it.  Stretching my arm, I dip my head down and waste no other second to attack the wound with one crushing by my hand. 

He jolts, eyes looking like about to pop out, mouth wide open.  I sneer at his blood stain on my hand but gets washed over by the water.  His tense muscle is getting weak and I let him go.  I get on the surface, bringing him up with me. 

If I leave him in the water, he could be drained of blood and desiccated until blood came in his sense of smell that would wake the beast inside of him. 

“Take it down!” after I bit my vein, I press it on his mouth.  My other hand holds his head and I force my blood on him until he swallows it down his throat just enough to help him recover faster. 

He wipes the blood which stains the tip of his lips with his thumb, very carefully. “I enroll you to the local college.” That’s the first thing he says when he finally manages to breathe normally.  That’s how I know Alessandro is Alessandro. 

“What the hell do you think? I have graduated from university too many times.  I don’t want to go back in classes anymore.  I’m sick of it.”

Because of my age which is forever 21, I had studied in university for different majors with bachelor and master degree.  I had tried university in almost every country I had been in every decade of my life. 

My brother and I decided to go back to our second home, Afton, after we heard the news about random attacks which no security department can solve.  Alessandro wants to start over and helps to sort things out in my messed up life. 

Out of all the things I need and want to do here, going to college is the last thing in my list or not even in my list.  That’s in his list, not mine ever.  I had enough of it. 

“It keeps you occupied and less time to go wild.”

I laugh at his stupid reason.  College does nothing in keeping me in control.  Otherwise, some of my mistakes were made in college.  I don’t know what in his mind is and how his experiences in college were, but clearly his experiences and mine aren’t comparable. 

“Can’t I just work in a company? Be a doctor, eh? Or doing some artsy job like painting,” I grin. “Okay I’m kidding I hate painting.”

He says simply. “You can have it all.  Just make yourself busy with humanly matters.”

So that’s how his basic terms on starting over our life, my life to be exact. 
*****

Hi guys

How's it? Was it bloody enough for a first chapter? Lol
It's just the beginning
We have the two main, brother and sister, Alexander and Freya

Tell me if you like it or not
Any criticism is much welcome

Have a good day

😜
Anjaa