Chapter 11 - Grounded

I watched him leave through the front window, preparing for the onslaught of what can only be known as 'the scolding'. Classic parental move, therefore not at all a surprise considering the prior events. I knew I was in for a headache from all the yelling that was about to occur. Still, I couldn't help but be in a good mood. I'd had fun. With Romeo. And I still wasn't sure how exactly I felt about him, but I knew it was easier to relax when I was around him, and my heart ached at the sight of him leaving.

My thoughts are interrupted by the stomping of feet against tiles that could only indicate the anger-induced ranting was about to begin. I wonder if I could find some ear plugs before she enters.

"Do you realise how much this is going to cost me?!" She shouts. Too late, she's already seen me.

"C'mon you can get a new popcorn maker from Target for like $35," I replied snarkily. She didn't seem impressed with my blasé response and overall attitude. I could see the harsh glint of anger in her eyes as she stared me down, daring me to respond with sarcasm. I didn't have a death wish, so wisely decided to stay silent.

"I've had it with your sassy attitude towards me, Juliet. I'm honestly growing more and more exhausted with your teenage mannerisms, on top of all this other stuff I'm dealing with!"

This was news to me. "What kind of stuff?" I probed, "what haven't you been telling me?"

Her face transformed instantaneously. Shocked to ashamed to sad to nothingness, all in the span of a few seconds. She looked down, rubbing the indent on her finger where her wedding ring would have sat. I understood now. She was lonely.

"Mum, you can always start dating again. You don't have to close yourself off from men, or women, that you may be interested in," I began, but was quickly interrupted.

"You don't understand, Juliet! I found my true love, and it's gone now. You don't get a second chance at love. At least not a love this pure and true," she paused and then sighed. "I'll never love again, and I have accepted that. It's not a discussion I want to have with you, to be honest".

I felt a bit hurt at that. Why was my own mother opting to keep me in the dark from such an important aspect of her life. Filled with hurt and pain, I lashed out.

"Maybe dad left you because you act like this!"

I paused, immediately regretting my outburst when I saw the tears freshly welling in her eyes. I'd just broken her heart, a heart that was already so wounded from being left by her love. Her tears turned from ones shed out of sadness, to ones of anger instead.

"You know what? You're grounded, young lady!"

Oh, shit. What was I gonna do with my weekend now?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, sorry it's been literally like 6 years since I've updated. I honestly don't even know why I decided to resurface now. I just bought a new car and moved in to a new room, and I guess I felt like I just wanted to do something I love, like writing. My writing style has changed a lot in recent years, as I've turned to grittier genres such as horror and thrillers, so it was challenging to revert back to my original themes and stories. I hope I've done this story justice, and I'm excited to see what the future holds. Also, I apologise for the short chapter, but it's getting late and I already have an idea for the next chapter that I'm keen to get on with.