Chapter Four

A/N:

So, I'm actually really scared to write Steve's transformation. 😬

*****

Steve and Peggy hopped into the back of the car, both tossing me a smile from the backseat.

I quickly unbuckled and jumped the front seat. "You ready?"

Steve stared at me before shaking his head.

"Not really."

"You'll be fine." I poked his shoulder, turning to Peggy. "I hope."

"What was that?" Steve frowned hearing my afterthought.

"Nothing!" I said innocently. "Who all is going to be there?"

"Erskine, Howard Stark, Philips, some scientists and other doctors, and a few people with political power." Peggy flicked the people off on her fingers. I could hear the slight disdain as she mentioned Stark and smirked slightly.

It's not that she didn't like the man, was nice enough, it's just that he was a little annoying. He always managed t bring up his interest in her no matter the conversation.

"I see that little smirk. Don't laugh at my pain." She scowled at me. Unlike most people, her scowl actually scared me. Also, u like most people, Peggy refused to slouch in her seat and I always did it just to annoy her. It was a never ending cycle of scowling and me slouching.

We were a fun pair.

"I know this neighborhood. I got beat up in that alley." Steve spoke up suddenly breaking the silence that followed Peggy's glare. "And that parking lot. And behind that diner."

I shook my head watching him point out each destination. This man really had something about giving up.

"Did you have something against running away?" Peggy looked to Steve casting a glance my way.

"Or giving up?" I mumbled under my breath turning to the blond for his answer.

"You start running they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back. Can't say no forever, right?" Steve stared at the seat beside my shoulder a flicker of sadness going across his face.

I reached over and placed a comforting hand on his knee. He switched his eyes over to me, a small smile gracing his lips. I offered him the same.

"I know a little of what that's like. To have every door shut in your face." Peggy watched our exchange with a smile before glancing out the window.

"Same. Training in Russia was not the easiest." I sighed feeling regret course through my veins. "The missions were worse."

"I guess I just don't why you'd wanna join the army if you're a beautiful dame. Or a beautiful... a woman. An agent, not a dame! You are beautiful, but..." Steve stammered awkwardly glancing between the two of us. I chuckled at the awkwardness.

What? It was adorable!

Peggy shot me an harsh look before softening her gaze to give Steve a incredulous look. "You have no idea how to talk to a woman, do you?"

I laughed harder with her words. Clutching at my abdomen. My fingers brushed against a thick scar along my back and I snapped away from all humor.

Wishing those few seconds I was back in Russia. Feeling every lash from a failed assignments punishment.

I shuddered myself out of my memories and back into the real world. I couldn't be distracted today.