Chapter 11: Stein's Past

Stein's POV

I have been waiting for this moment.. Though, I was not expecting it to be too soon. But I guess, the sooner I say it, the sooner I can finally rest..

I looked at Hiroyasu with sadness and courage in my eyes. I finally found the words to tell him.

"Hiroyasu.. I know you have questions in your head.. And I will answer them for you on behalf of your mother...", I said, trying not to tear up, "Yes indeed I am a psychopath. But I didn't want to be one. As you can see, Hiroyasu.. I'm just like you guys.. An experiment subject..."

Flashback: 5 years old Stein

I woke up to the sound of the bell our father have ringed. It means it's time for us to wake up. All of us 56 children went to the dining room for breakfast. Just as we ate, our father made an announcement. "Alright. We have 5 kids today who will be sent to your fathers who will take care of you and make you stronger..."

I was filled with joy as I heard my name among the five. After breakfast, we dressed up and hopped in the car as we were sent to the new home. I was sent to the home labeled with 204. I know this place! This is where great kids were delivered.. I heard that the kids here are very talented. That could mean.. I am talented as well!

I happily ran into the house. I was greeted by a tall man who will be my new father. "Hello there. Stein is it?". I nodded happily. "Ah well then, welcome home."

He picked me up and introduced me to the other 9 children in the living room who were all playing. Most of them were older than me but that's okay.

Though I couldn't fit in very well with them, I  had a friend. Name's Andrew. He's a good guy. He may be clumsy at times, he's great. He's the kindest among us. And the best part is he's just my age. 

By the time i was 7, I heard rumors from the older kids that when you reach 7 years old, father will become hard on us. At first, I didn't believe. Until I experienced it. He was too harsh.. Just a small mistake, we'll have punishments.. Either it's a normal punishment or the harsh punishment. 

That's when I realized he's a psychopath. Just like the other fathers of the other homes, they are all psychopaths. Like a crazy scientist, they go around experimenting on kids. It's creepy if you ask me.. Well, every single one of us found it scary. I also found out that when the father thinks you're at the right age, he'll dissect you no matter what.

And that's what happened to me..

The worst thing is, there are no pain killers and you are dissected while you are wide awake. It hurts so bad... That's why we planned to escape...

The sad part is that my friend Andrew died as he was getting dissected... Passed out of blood loss I believe... I really hoped to escape with him. But I guess, he's happier that way.. He's at peace when he's dead..

We were 10 years old by then.. So the plan was perfect because our father just got a serious sickness right at the day we planned to escape. It was so perfect!

We headed to our father's room to tell him our "get well soon" messages... After that, we all turned around and walked out of the room- and we will be heading out of the house and escape.

But my father called me.. "Stein.", he said. "Don't go.."

"Why won't I?", I replied. "And how did you know?"

"I have been observing you all... I knew about your plan today.. I have put my traps on today and you bet it works..."

I ran to the door to check on them and there they all were.. Dead...

"There is no point of warning them my sweet child...", he continued. "Why not join me and live? Follow my steps and be free? Be able to live as an adult? Come now.. I know you want to."

I did want to.. Because if I don't, I'll be dying young.. And I wanted to explore outside with all the other children, get married, and have kids... I wanted to live.. So I accepted..

I then found myself getting dissecting in the heart. They were putting a device on me in which I will obey each of my father's commands... So that's where it started. He commanded me to follow his footsteps and then he died after that. That was his last command so I had to bear with it until I die.

So that's where hell started.. I was alone in the streets not knowing where to start my life.. Until I met a family.. Father, mother, and a daughter. They adopted me. They were nice.. Very nice indeed. But I rejected being their son. I just want a place to be in. They agreed though. And as time pass by, I fell in love with their daughter...Yuki..

We fell in love and got married when we got older. As I got older though, the power of the device took over me at random times. I would sometimes dissect my own wife. But she understood my situation and bear the pain for years.

And comes the time I had a kid. He was such a precious kid... His name... Is Hiroyasu..