Chapter 15

Garret thankfully waits in the car for us as we head inside of the police station, the lobby looking the same as it always has as we enter. Luckily the secretary isn't at the desk and the station is empty of people as Diana leads the way over to the hub for the elevator and pushes a button.

"This is a bad idea," she mutters under her breath and I nod.

"I know," I say in a low voice.

I could possibly be risking her job, that and seeing a dead body after having just eaten isn't the most pleasant way to end the evening either. The elevator arrives and we step in as she hits the button for the basement.

She crosses her arms behind her back as she gnaws the edge of her lip, the number at the top of the elevator switching from '1' to '0' as I take a calming breath. I don't exactly know what I'm expecting, however, a few spells come to mind, ones for sensing broken energy and wounds.

The elevator arrives and the doors open into the white-tiled hallway that I had traversed with my friends so long ago. Diana steps out first but I lead the way to the morgue as she catches up and motions for me to wait.

"Let me check to make sure that no one's here," she tells me and I nod as she pushes the door open and disappears inside.

After a moment, she reappears and nods to me as I slip into the room after her. Anxiety begins to overtake me, the mind-numbing, freezing fear making me feel like everything is passing by in a blur. The strong odor of disinfectant turns my stomach as I resist the urge to gag and instead focus on my hands as I clasp them in front of me.

"Kara."

I snap to attention and look up to see that Diana's blue eyes are watching me expectantly, her dark brows furrowing as she sets her jaw.

"We should leave, this isn't a good idea, I shouldn't have brought you here-," she starts to say, but I shake my head as I walk across the room.

"We're here now and I'm going to get answers," I tell her in the strongest voice I can muster.

I stop at the row of fridges, the memory of resurrecting Finn coming back to me as I take a slow, even breath.

Runrunrun, my mind chants as I stand in front of them and hesitate.

"What one?" I ask, my tongue sticking in my mouth as I struggle to put words together in a way that will make sense.

"Three-C, Kara-."

I walk for the door that has the number and letter labeled on it in black, my footing clumsy and jerky as I reach for the handle and pull it open before I can stop myself. I pull on the tray and it rolls out like a drawer as I stare down at the sheet-covered figure. I place my hand on the lump that is her head, the smooth surface of her forehead cold under my touch as I focus.

I think back to spells for sensing energies as I reach for the echoes that are left in her body and they reverberate back.

Blood loss, too much blood loss, she died from bleeding out.

I pull my hand back for a second as I mull over the possibilities and only find one.

Her wrists were cut, there are no traces of magical influencing, she wasn't cursed.

I bite down on the inside of my chapped lip until I taste copper, frustration getting the better of me as I shake my head and look over at Diana.

"Blood loss, she bled out from the cuts on her wrists," I admit, every word a barb that stabs my tongue.

Diana's face falls at this and I'm surprised by the fact as she nods slowly.

"No influencing magic either?"

"No," I agree and feel physically pained to admit such a thing to her.

"Okay, well, it's probably best that we get out of here," she tells me as she glances toward the door, "I'm sorry Kara, but maybe you're just being paranoid."

My heart drops at her choice of words, the realization that everyone really does think that I'm crazy getting the better of me as I nod.

"Maybe I am," I say through grit teeth, my eyes stinging with unshed tears.

Maybe I am, I tell myself as I push away the memory of Finn speaking to me in the bathroom, the fact that he had been there already starting to fade and making me doubt myself as I don't dare mention it.