Chapter One: New Girl At School

Hello! So this is the start of my latest book idea - no, I just couldn't stay away from spy stories for too long. They're just too much fun. I have another book I'm working on right now too, "Off the Field," so please check that out if you want something more teen fiction-y, but this book will be action and teen fiction. You'll see. I'm very excited, it's going to be different, I think. Anyway, so this is just my usual spiel about how this book won't have sex or awful profanity and stuff, just drama and violence and yada yada. Also, please bear with me for updates because currently I have about 5 minutes per week to write, between school and cross-country, and it took me like 3 weeks to write one chapter because no time. So updates will most likely be sporadic until November when cross-country ends. Although AP Chem can still dominate my life.

Anyway, you don't care about all this, so please - enjoy this first chapter and let me know what you think! Are you excited for this too? How is the character introduction? Are you intrigued to find out what happened? Please shoot me a comment :)

(and yes, I know I used Gossip Girl on my cover...judge me lol) (hey it looks good doesn't it)

Gracias!! <3 Monica (vb123321)

Chapter One: New Girl At School

“I can’t do this.”

The words had escaped my mouth before I realized I had stopped dead in front of the school doors, my hands clutching the straps of my backpack. My skin felt uncomfortable beneath the plaid uniform skirt and white blouse, my feet hot in black crew socks and Sperries. My gaze drifted over the impressive stone school building and sprawling green grounds before landing back on those doors.

“Come on, Kat.” Sam leaned on my shoulder, offering a crooked smile. “We’ve been through this. This is hardly the most difficult thing you’ve ever done.”

Easy for him to say: He looked so much more comfortable than I felt, even in his stiff red tie and pressed khakis. Striding in front of me, he opened the door and bowed mockingly, but I still couldn’t walk through it.

“What am I even doing here?” I asked, meeting his green eyes. “I was told nothing.”

“I told you, I’m briefing you tonight.” He stuck his foot in the door to prop it open. “For now, the only thing you have to worry about is convincing people that you’re my cousin. Oh,” and his grin widened, “and getting away with that hair of yours.”

I twisted a strand of long dark hair around my finger. “What’s wrong with it?”

Sam reached forward and tugged out a platinum strand. “They don’t like the skunk look.”

And just like that, he had me laughing. He was the only person who could, as far as I knew. Then again, I didn’t know much.

“Come on, Kat,” he said again, shifting impatiently. “I didn’t go to this place for a solid year just so you could back out now. Don’t blow the cover.”

Taking a deep breath, I entered the school. Sam followed me, shoving my backpack to keep me walking through the front lobby. Though I had been there the day before to get a tour and my schedule, meet the principal, and all that new student stuff, I still marveled at the gorgeous interior. The ceiling arched above us, a staircase winding up several hundred feet away, like some sort of castle. Paintings and murals lined the sleek walls, and the tile floor sparkled.

“People here have major bucks,” I commented, allowing one backpack strap to slip off of my shoulder.

“As long as you’re here,” said Sam, his eyes still scanning the area by instinct, “you do, too. Try not to forget that.”