27

Ella

Ella

On Monday, nothing I do helps to ease the anxiety.

Today is the day Shea and Kaleb are releasing the news about Mikael — and I have to work. I'm expected to continue my day on without supporting my friends. Work's busy — most Mondays are — and it's difficult to concentrate on strenuous activities when my stomach has so many knots. Most of my clients have been sympathetic, despite not knowing the details surrounding my strange behaviour. By strange, I mean messing up stretch routines, forgetting to correct them on their posture, or not timing them. I've already handed out hundreds of apologies, and I'm relieved when I get a thirty-minute break between appointments.

Sipping my water bottle, I comb through the details of today's schedule. Mikael's third appointment was supposed to be today. He didn't call to cancel and nor did I do anything to end it. Uncle Ray did, after I got permission from Brenna to say something. What Mikael did to her is unforgivable. Brenna is my best friend, and he knows which side I'm on. I made it clear during the party, when I ended whatever was blossoming between us before it could take root.

"Hey, kid. How's it going?"

After setting my ratty notebook down, I turn around and smile at Uncle Ray. He's dressed in biker shorts and a tight-fitting T-shirt. His face is red with sweat, and he's still panting. "How was spin class?"

He uses the towel hanging over his shoulder to wipe his forehead. Chuckling, he says, "A grind. But it feels good."

I nod. Spin classes take a lot of energy and you need to have the right mindset. Meaning, you need to remember that no matter how slow or fast you go, you're still putting in the effort.

"You've been busy this morning," he notes. "Finally have a break? That asshole's not coming in, is he?"

Uncle Ray knows about the situation with Mikael. Confidence in Mikael listening to Uncle Ray's warnings and not showing up is limited. I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but it usually results in me overestimating them. They're not as smart as I give them credit for. Should Mikael show up, though, I've got a support system I can depend on.

Still, you can't be too sure about Mikael. He's hot-headed and hates not feeling like the alpha. "Not sure," I shrug. "But if he does, we all know what to do."

Uncle Ray squeezes my shoulder. "We've got you, Ella."

I flash him a weak smile and then direct my gaze to the floor. A pang of regret, shame, and disappointment echo through my gut. Is this how things will always be? Me needing support from people I trust because I can't choose good men? Am I that much of a fool?

"Hey," Uncle Ray says. "Kid." He tips my chin up. "Don't sell yourself short. You've been through a lot." He glances over my shoulder. When I follow his gaze, I see a man standing at the counter. His mop of auburn hair is a mess, and he's looking over his shoulder at the glass doors. Beyond that, I see the streets of Vancouver. "Better get to the desk. I'll talk to you during your next break, Ella."