chapter 2

At first I heard a tick, tick on the window. I thought that it was Zac and opened the window but as I opened it I thought I had seen the rag man then I heard Zac’s thought. It’s ok it’s me please don’t freak misty I know you hate to disobey the rules but don’t go wigging out on me. Ok that was defiantly him no mistaking that.

I swang out of the window and grabbed the fire escape and climbed down in two swift movements.  When my feet touched the ground and I had stepped away from the pole with my bag Zac’s arms wrapped around me as he said “where’d you learn to do” he stopped as my finger brushed his lips lightly adding slight pressure to the middle. “What was that for?” he said not complaining

“You need to stop talking so much there’s no need and I learnt to do that with practice I don’t like stuffy rooms” I said laughing at his expression of puzzlement and horror. I could hear dusk sneaking through my room near the window and then I heard a slight bang next to me. In what took me two swift moves had only taken her one jump to do. It may not sound like much but landing a two story jump in high heels holding a suit-case is a lot harder than it looks or sounds.

“Again with the timing how come she’s so good at it” Zac groaned. 

“I would like to just get to the apartment so I can drop this off” Dusk said holding up her suit-case. The plan was that she would drop off her suit-case at Zac and Brad’s apartment and the go over to Tam’s, Brad’s cousins, to see Brad. He was going to stay at Tam’s because her dad had just gone to hospital with leukaemia.

“Alright don’t get your nickers in a twist we’ll get going just go put your stuff in the boot we can drop you strait off at Tam’s just be quiet we don’t want to get court until were close enough to my place that he won’t be able to come and get you” Zac said just as happy to be going as Dusk was.        

We had just dropped off Dusk and were turning onto his street. I saw his apartment building coming up, it was a classic styled building it was five stories high. The first floor had the reception and mail boxes inside all the other stories had an apartment over the whole floor. The only way to get to your apartment was by an elevator that would open to a small hall that at the end had a single door that would open to the actual apartment.       

We walked through to the reception lady whose name was Naomi. She was a young lady in her mid-twenties with long blond hair and light brown eyes and a smile that seemed to never leave her face. Her smile was ether filed with joy or a slight coyness that seemed to go with a child’s smile.

She gave us a warm smile as we hoped into the elevator and pressed level five. We walked down the small hall and I waited for Zac to open the door. He walked inside and I followed heading to the spear room to put down my things along with Dusk’s.

“Hey want to watch a movie with me I’ve got footloose wait what’s that doing in there it must be Brad’s, any way we’ve got I should now say Mr and Mrs Smith, The Spy Next Door again not mine, you know what you chose the movie there’s a lot In here that is not mine” Zac said he clearly didn’t like his roommates movies but wanted me to feel at home here.

We ended up watching a movie about spies and enemy spies that was Zac’s, he was proud to admit.  We ended up on the couch with me leaning against him. When the movie ended we packed it up and sat back down on the couch in the same spots.

“Thanks for letting me stay here but I’m still worried about dad he’s going to have a fit when he finds out that where gone in fact he probably already has found out” I said feeling nervous. I shifted to feel cosier against his chest.

“You have no reason to worry so don’t your safe here and that’s all that matters to me” Zac said

Just as we stood up to head to our separate rooms the door was smashed open and pieces of wood flew everywhere. In the doorway stood four masked figures and the man in rags from the café. I swore I knew that face but I still could not place it.