Chapter Four (Alex's POV)

* Warning abuse is mentioned in this chapter *

I know he saw them. Fuck. How was I gonna explain this to him? I couldn't just pass them off as falling down the stairs this time, they looked exactly like fingerprints. I just smiled at him and quickly ducked into the nurses office, walking over to the far right corner from the door I fished out six quarters from y bag. I put three in the section that dispenses one dose of ibuprofen, while putting the other three in the section that dispense pregnancy tests.

"Can I help you?" I heard from behind me, I looked behind me to see a nurse with long black hair with curious brown eyes, her name tag read Madelyn. I smiled and shook my head before grabbing my items and bolting past her and out the door. Luckily my class was just around the corner, it was my least favorite class. History. I always managed to zone out during that class, luckily I had Nick to help me with the class.

"Better hurry Alex." I heard the dean of students mutter as she walked past me, I just rolled my eyes. I absolutely hated her. You would think that someone who works in a facility with kids, would actually like her job and kids. But nope she absolutely hates both, her job and kids. I walked into class and sat at my assigned seat in the back of class. I plopped my stuff down on my desk and sat down just as the bell rang. The teacher still wasn't here so I just got out my book and began reading, but I wasn't really paying any attention to the book.

* Flashback to the night before *

"Goddamn it! Where is that little brat?!" I heard my father scream from downstairs, he sounded pissed and I knew what that meant. A whole world of hurt for me. I quickly got up and put my homework away, I hid in the closet behind all of my clothes which covered me luckily. I knew it was dangerous for me to hide from him, it would mean even trouble for me if I was found. But maybe. Just maybe. This time I would get lucky.

"Alex! Get your ungrateful ass out her now!" I heard him scream as he stumbled down the hallway. It was a miracle he even made it up the stairs without falling down them. He was drunk like he always was. All I could do was whimper in pain and fear, I start shaking as I could hear him coming closer and closer to my room. I clenched my eyes shut and covered my ears as I shrank even farther back into the closet. I wish I could disappear on nights like these.

"Where the fuck are you?" He snarled as he kicked my door in, which wasn't really necessary seeing as it was unlocked. I wasn't ever allowed to have it locked. The one time I did, I was out of school for at least three days. He yanked open my closet door, by this time I was absolutely frozen with fear, even if he managed to not find me and leave. I still wouldn't have been able to move.

"No! Please! Stop it!" I screeched as I felt his hands wrap around my arm his nails digging in painfully. The heels of my feet were digging into the carpet as I kept trying to scramble backwards and wrench myself from his grasp. I let out a short scream as he threw me down to the carpet at his feet, my breath was coming out in quick short breaths as I laid there. Suddenly, I felt my breath leave me as he began kicking me with full force. He kicked me like five or six times began grabbing me by the shoulders and hauling me up.

"Why the fuck do you ruin everything?" He screamed as he pinned me against the wall, his hands would most likely bruises that I would have to hide just like the countless others. Spit was flying out of his mouth and hitting me in the face as he screamed at me. His breath smelled like pure alcohol which I would never be able to get out of my mind, the smell of it at least. All I could do was stand there flinching away from him as he kept screaming more and more at me.

"No please..." I gasped as he wrapped his hand around my throat and began to lift me up and off the ground by it, he was cutting off my air supply. But he knew what he was doing. He wouldn't squeeze to hard to leave bruises, but he knew just how hard to squeeze to scare me. My feet were pounding against the wall as both of my hands were scratching at his wrists desperately trying to get him to release me. He laughed as he suddenly dropped me at his feet, I started coughing as I desperately began pulling much need air into my lungs.

"Oh, quit being a pathetic bitch." He slurred before slamming his foot into my ribs and stomach a couple times. After he was done beating me, he stumbled out of the door catching himself with his hand on the door frame before he slipped and fell. The minute he left my room, I slowly stood up and made my way towards my dresser to grab a couple ibuprofen out of the many bottles I have. 

"No wait...!" I heard my mother scream before what sounded like a beer bottle breaking and a bunch of crashes. I so badly wanted to go down there and help her. But I knew I couldn't. It would only make it ten times worse for the both of us. All I could do was crawl up under my covers and try to get a least a couple of hours of sleep. It was hard for me I was constantly afraid. For me. And for my mom. 

*Flashback ends* 

By the time I had zoned back in on what class I was in, I was shaking and clearly upset. But I knew the teacher wouldn't say anything nor would the students. None of them cared. Nobody did. Well, maybe Nick did. But he didn't know what was really going on. I was kind of glad that he didn't know about it. I had no idea what his would be. He could hate me for not going to the police, I wanted to. But I was so scared to. I didn't want to make things any worse. If it backfired, he could end up killing me, or worse my mom. My mom tries her hardest to protect me. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But for some reason he absolutely hated me. 

"Here you go hun." A soft voice spoke, I looked up to see Ms. Rivera handing me a box of tissues. Ms. Rivera was one of the student aid teachers that worked throughout our school. I smiled at her I thanks, she nodded to me before walking back towards the partially deaf student we had in our class. It was odd, The substitute teacher and the student aid teacher paid more attention to me than most of  the actual teachers that worked here.  I didn't quite understand it. You would think that the teacher would actually pay more attention to their kids home life because it could affect them for the rest of their life.

"Now it's time for the Friday packet." The teacher announced before clapping his hands together and beginning to pass out these stupid packets. All they were was packets of work we had to finish before next Friday. Most of the time I finished these, today was luckily one of them. I set my old packet on the corner of the table ready to be collected and sat back and waited. I was kind of glad that it was finally Friday, but then again I wasn't. I like going to school because it's a way to escape the prison that is my home. Now some people may say that I'm exaggerating but I'm really not. During the weekend, I had no way to get away I was entirely trapped. I absolutely loathed it. The teacher announced that we would not have school on Monday due to the fact that we didn't go over our six snow days. How in the hell was I going to survive this?