Chapter 17

The minute he stepped back into the room, it was filled with awkwardness.

'So what did you do?'

He sat down again before saying,'Ummi thought I was the one to leave the milk out of the fridge but it was Bigfoot.'

I snorted which caused him to widen his eyes at me.
'Why do you call her Bigfoot?'

'Have you seen the size of her feet?'

I shook my head whilst chuckling. 'No but it is understandable, isn't she going through puberty or something? She's 14 or 15 right? All those hormones and misunderstandings...poor Zainub.'

He shrugged with his face scrunched up.

And just like that the awkwardness is gone!

'I wonder what this is,' I said holding a small white box. The minute I opened it, I felt my stomach drop.

'What the-'

Yazaar took the box from me and put it on his desk.
'Why would somebody do this?' he asked and took the baby doll's head out of the box.

I had gotten chills. 'It must be one of my siblings,' I told him trying to find the humor in the situation but I knew that none of them would have done that to me.

'I don't think so Lailah...Ummi!' he yelled, still staring at the doll with big frightful eyes.

'Yaz! Tum mujh par chillaane kee himmat kaise karoge!' she scold whilst walking into our room.

'Okay, sorry for shouting but look,' he apologized whilst being slapped with her dish cloth lightly.

'Ya Allah!' she gasped whilst taking the head in her hand.

'The person took the eyes out,' she pointed out and put it back into the box. 'All that effort to get such a beautifully wrapped box just to put this in, what is the reason for this?'

Yazaar took the box and went downstairs with it. He held the box as if there was a ticking time bomb in it. He returned to us shortly and seemed quite flushed. 'Don't worry, whoever did it wants attention.'

I paid no heed to it then as I opened the next long rectangular box.
'Oh look, a gift from Safia addressed to Yazaar only...'

He seemed surprised as he stood up to look at the gift. 'Open it,' he told me.

'Oh look, it's a purple tie. Isn't that nice Ummi?'

Whilst smiling she said,'Yes it is. Very nice.'

I checked the note and it said,'"For your first day at your first job".'

'Why this little—'

'Lailah come and help me set the table right,' ummi cut in and my cheeks tinged as I realised what I would have said.

Yazaar gripped my hand right before I was about to step out of the room. 'Safia is just a close friend of mine, we consider her family.'

'Yeah but is she your mahram?'

'No,' he answered and tried to say something else but I had already walked out of the room.

'Lailah stop being disrespectful!'

'No Yazaar...what is disrespectful is speaking to another female when you have a wife,' I said softly and walked out.

He had walked after me and tried to take my wrist in his hand but I pulled it out in time before he softly said,'I'm sorry, I will block her number and delete it as well.'