Chapter Nine - Xylaris - 6

Z9 spun out and fired towards the sniper on the cliff. Moving whilst the guard had to duck for cover they ran for a large boulder halfway down the slope. Pausing to reload, the guard's head briefly reappeared over the rock, and Kron snuck in the killing blow. Z9 switched targets and threw several blasts at a small hideout by the main entrance to the base.

Kron switched to the rooftop guard, firing through dust clouds that burst up around their feet. They slid in behind the boulder and took stock of their situation.

'We still alive?' asked Kron.

'Just about.'

'How many dead?'

'One.'

'Just the one? That's depressing.'

Z9 composed herself, and leapt onto the top of the boulder. 'Cover me,' she yelled back, one hand on the rock and another swivelling to the man on the roof. The shot hit the rooftop guard's gun, which exploded in a flash of red and green flame. She felt the heat even 100 feet away.

Kron's shots peppered the hideout, where a muzzle was peering out and blazing lightning. The dust shield momentarily obscured her from the guard's view. When it cleared, she was gone.

The guard looked around and saw her coming at him diagonally, having used the cover to zigzag out of the way. She sprinted for all she was worth, and leapt on top of the shelter. She aimed for the floor and the roof cracked as a hole was blown out. A beam collapsed onto the man's head and his skull cracked in two.

She looked back at Kron, who had emerged from his hiding place and was making his way towards her. His eyes widened and time slowed for a second. He raised his gun at her. Z9's ears pricked up. Behind her was the distinctive sound of boots scuffing in the sand. Someone was emerging from behind the wall of the main building, barrel trained on her back, a finger stroking a twitchy trigger.

Her ears suddenly muffled and she felt every hair on the back of her neck stand on end. She saw the flash of Kron's gun, saw the trail of energy make its way across to her, fronds behind it like a cape. She felt her muscles tense, ready to dive away. There it was, slicing past her ear.

And then time caught up to reality again and her assassin fell into the dirt. She leapt from the shelter and ran to the entrance of the base. Kron ran to her through a trail of machine-gun fire like a comet's tail. She opened the door, and the two of them slipped inside and slammed the way closed behind them.

'Thanks,' Z9 said as she wiped sweat away.

Kron waved the thanks away, ejecting a canister and loading up another.

They hurried down a corridor, windows to the outside tinted but not black. Over on a far corner of the compound Z9 saw lights flicking inside a large hangar. The roof hissed and began to split open.

'Over there,' Z9 said as they swivelled around a corner and took out a stray guard. 'They're trying to take off with the cargo.'

Suddenly the power went off and they were plunged into black. All they heard was the sound of their breathing. Adrenaline pumped through their limbs, hearts beating against their chests.

Red alarms flashed and sirens wailed. From deep within the compound came the sound of boots hurrying down the hallways towards them. A second later a set of doors opened behind them and the reinforcements began to file out.

'Get Ser-Serad. I'll hold them,' Kron said, as they ducked for cover around the next corner.

Z9 found herself liking the guy more and more. He was good looking, took care of himself, covered for the lady, and thought along her wavelength. Z9 took off, following the signs towards the spaceship hangar.