2: Jobs

{Frank's POV}

Miles came home with a smile on his face after the day Matt and I divorced. I figured the worst, of course, as a father. I thought Miles was going to be broken or worse. But as I sat on the couch, going through numbers of potential places I could work, the door opened and a happy Miles rushed in.

"Dad!" He ran to me, jumping on my lap and throwing his arms around me. "Parent-teacher conferences are tomorrow. You get to meet the best teacher in the universe, Mr. Way!"

Internally, I groaned, but out of my mouth came a small, "That's awesome, buddy."

Miles hopped off of my lap and ran to the kitchen as I facepalmed. I forgot about parent-teacher conferences. Of course, I had plans for the next day, but Miles seemed thrilled that I would finally get to meet his teachers.

I could cancel the dinner I had planned and make it to conferences because Miles meant more to me than any dinner.

"So, tell me more about this Mr. Way," I set down my papers and looked at Miles, who was on the counter reaching for his Spiderman cup. "What's he like?"

"He's nice and cool," Miles grabbed the cup. "He has black hair and he's funny and he cheered me up 'cause I got sad today."

"Why'd you get sad, kiddo?" I laid back against the couch as Miles opened the fridge and grabbed the carton of apple juice.

"Jus' because," He shrugged, not wanting to talk. 

"Are you sure?" I pressed. "You can tell me anything, you know. I want to know how you feel."

Miles nodded and paused, "I miss daddy."

I felt a knot tighten in my throat before I looked down at my lap. I knew this was a bad idea, Miles is too young to handle something like this.

"I do too."

Miles took a sip of juice and sat down beside me, "What are you workin' on?"

"Getting a job," I sighed. 

"Oh," He furrowed his eyebrows and looked down at my papers. "What about McDonald's?"

"McDonald's?" I laughed. 

Miles nodded.

"I'll keep that in mind, kid."