Kristy

Me and Sophie got dressed for the funeral. We left soon after. Once we arrived there was a few people arguing, Josh was one of them. We got out and hurried over to him. "I have every right to be here!" Josh yelled. "If we don't want you here then by law you need to leave or I will call the cops." The father said. Josh was livid. "Hunter was the love of my life. We were married." The father's eyes widened. "Nonsense! My son is No queer." Josh went to take a swing but Chris pulled him away. Sophie walked up to the father and mother and said, "Your son is gay. He was in love with my dear friend Josh. Yes they did get married. I have the marriage certificate here." She handed him a piece of paper and the Man looked it over. The woman began crying. "This is ridiculous!" The father yelled and he then ripped up the paper. "It's Okay, that was only a copy." Sophie said calmly. She turned and faced Josh. "Since you are the widow, by law you can remove whom ever you'd like from the funeral." Josh didn't speak for a few minutes. "I'd hate to not be at my son's funeral. You may stay, if and only if you show some damn respect." With that said Josh went inside followed but Chris and Grace. Chris stopped for a second and said, "By the way I'm a transgender, me and your son was close friends." Sophie turned and looked at me. "Come on baby, let's go." She held out her hand and I took it. The father said nothing as we walked past him into the building.

The funeral began with some singing. Then people went up to say goodbye. When Josh got up there and he reached into his pocket. He pulled out a gold ring and put it on Hunters hand. After everyone went up to see him it was time for people to speak. Josh was the first one. "Uh hi everyone. I'm Josh Lanson." A few people gasped. "Most of you don't know, but I am Hunter's husband. We married while he was on his death bed. It was his final wish. Hunter told me that once he knew he was gay, he's never tell his family because they would not accept him. I thought he was wrong, but he was proven right today. At first I wasn't even allowed here. But by law I can be. I loved Hunter with all my heart. I planned to spend the rest of my life with him. You only find that special someone once in your life. When you do, you hold on to them. Because you never know when they'll slip away." He stopped because he began sobbing. Chris went up to him and escorted him back to his seat. Each one of us went up there and said a few words. I went up to the casket and pulled a full size rainbow flag out. "Would you guys mind helping me put this over Hunter?" I asked the group. They all got up and helped put the flag over Hunter. After that we walked away. No one spoke to us as we walked past them. The mother stopped Josh before he coops leave. "I just wanted to say Thank-you. Thank-you for being there with my boy while he was alive." She gave him a quick hug and we left.