Chapter 24

Time skip 3 months

Mikaela's POV

I must be the stupidest person ever. I had messed everything up so bad. I was a complete wreck. I needed to talk to my best friend. Cody would know what to say. It wouldn't be pretty, but right now I didn't need pretty. I needed someone who would be brutally honest, no matter how harsh. Cody didn't sugar coat shit and that was exactly what I needed right now.

"My brother from another mother." I said when he answered. "Whatcha doing?"

I inwardly cringed at my fake chipperness.

"My sister from another mister. 'Sup" He answered back.

"I'm in town for a bit and I need some help with a couple of songs. Are you busy?" I asked.

"Nope. Britt's out running errands and BB's with her mom. I'm bored. Come on over."

"Great! I'll bring lunch." I hung up, grabbed my keys, sunglasses and guitar and left.

************

Cody's POV

I somehow knew something major was up when I saw Kaeli standing on the other side of my door with a pair of dark sunglasses covering half her face.

She was trying to balance a few Chick-Fil-A bags, and a drink tray on top of a platter of nuggets with her guitar in the other hand.

Good God, the girl brought enough food to feed an army.

I grabbed the drinks with one hand and the bags with the other, set them down on the coffee table then grabbed the platter.

"Hungry?" I asked.

She gave a small smile, "starving."

Typical Kaeli response.

"Where is Ryan?" I asked.

She hesitated before answering "Watkins Glen. New York."

"Kaeli, take off the glasses."

I was worried. Aside from the mountain of food, she seemed off, but did as I asked.

She looked terrible. Her eyes were red and puffy. Her face splotchy.

"What's wrong hun?"

She began sobbing. "We broke up".

*************

Mikaela's POV

I knew as soon as I took off my sunglasses, Cody would know I had been crying.

When he asked about Ryan, I just lost it.

He wrapped his arms around me and just let me cry. It felt good to cry on someone's shoulder, to be comforted, but I didn't deserve it.

"Oh Cody. I'm so stupid. I'm such an idiot. I made the biggest mistake of my life."

Cody pulled back and looked at me "What did he do?" There was anger in his voice.

Oh God, he thought this was Ryan's fault.

I gave a bitter laugh. "You wanna know what he did? Absolutely nothing. He was sweet, wonderful, loving, supportive, perfect. He was amazing. I'm the one who fucked everything up."

Cody pulled me back for another hug and I began sobbing again.

The front door opened and Brittany walked in. "Is that Kaeli's car in the driveway?"

She saw me crying into Cody's chest. She dropped everything and ran over to us. She began rubbing my back.

"Honey, what's going on?" She asked.