Chapter Eighteen

The next few days were torture for Agnes. Every time she was alone, her mind would drift to Lottie and she would be consumed by the memory of the kiss. Just the thought of Lottie's lips on hers would send her down a downward spiral of emotions. She was undeniably ecstatic, but she was also extremely worried. What was she to Lottie? Did Lottie only kiss her because she was scared, a romantic gesture spurred on by the fear of not knowing if you would live to see the next day? It didn't seem likely, but the thought was still there.

She tried to go back to her normal routine, but fishing was too painful. Physically, she was sitting by the lake, but mentally, she was back on James' couch. Her fingers itched to be run through Lottie's hair, even though she knew it wouldn't be safe for her to go out to James' house. She began helping Papa and Darryl in the shop during the day to keep her mind off unwanted things.

It was after one of these long days of work that the trio was walking home later than usual, when the light was almost gone. Agnes was chugging a bottle of cola that she had swiped from behind the counter, and Papa and Darryl were discussing the day's profits.

Mama and Franny met them halfway down the driveway. Both women appeared frazzled and upset.

"I caught some man in all black sneaking around the backyard earlier," Franny huffed, crossing her arms. A few stray, coily hairs had escaped from her headband, something that she normally never would have allowed to happen.

Agnes shoved the empty bottle into her back pocket. "Who the hell was it?"

"We don't know!" Mama interjected. She pointed furiously at the backyard. "He was stomping around in my vegetable patch, so I got the gun and shot at him. He ran off and trampled some of my cabbages."

Papa kicked the dirt. "Dammit. We sent Lottie with James so that this wouldn't happen. That's it. Darryl, go inside and get the keys. I'm going get Lottie and take her to Linda, whether she's ready or not."

Darryl nodded and ran inside.

"You can't drive all the way out to Louisiana tonight," Mama said. She grabbed Papa's arm as he stomped past her.

"I'm sick and tired of this. Lottie's going away tonight, so she can be safe." He pulled his arm out of her grip and continued to the house.

Agnes caught up with him on the porch and blocked his path. "I'm coming with you."

He pushed her out the way. "No, you ain't. You stay here."

"No!" She flung herself in front of the door, grabbing onto the frame with everything she had. "I'm coming!"

Papa grabbed her waist and pulled her out of the way. "Why do you feel the need to argue with me?" He walked into the house and slammed the door shut behind him.

With a huff, Agnes barged down the porch stairs, shoving past Mama and Franny, and made her way to the car parked near the bean patch. Papa may not want her to come, but there was nothing he could do to stop her.

A few minutes later, when Papa came out of the house with Floyd in tow, he saw her sitting defiantly in the backseat and his face turned beet red. "Red, get out of the damn car!"

She shoved her fingers in her ears and hollered, "I can't hear you!"

"That's it," he grumbled.

He grabbed her and began to try to yank her out of the vehicle, but she latched onto the seat and began screaming at the top of her lungs. Her legs flailed violently, narrowly missing his head numerous times.

"Stop it, you two!" Floyd eventually shouted at them. When they looked at him, he gestured furiously at the front of the car. "We're not going anywhere with the tire like that!"