1990

Note: 

Everyone who died IRL will stay alive. People who where not healthy will be. This is a very idealized world for the people. I just want most people to live longer than they did.

I remember running. Running through New York trying to get to my job at Vogue, no not job but internship.  I remember zipping through the streets and crashing into a bike and hearing the clicking of cameras as I did that. 

"Oh.. shit, shit I am sorry." I said to the man I had crashed into as I cursed my luck. Of course I was running late and it was a paid internship.  I held my hand out and helped the man up.  "Are you ok?" 

"Yes," He started but I cut him off and said "Good" without looking at him, I began my run again.  I did not know who I banged into or how this simple, maybe 10 seconds would forever change my life.

My internship had begun a week prior when a dear friend of mine, Alicia D'Orianto, had arranged it for me. Alicia is an intern who was a socialite. Alicia partied with a lot of different people. 

I had been wearing a blue button down shirt with red pants and my hair cascading down my back with black heels.  I was red faced but other than that I look ok. 

I spent the day with Victoria Black, the fashion director. I was her assistant for the internship. Victoria was a kind lady who was only 13 years older than me, meaning 32 almost 33, married to a man who was a couple of years older than her with two children both of whom were sons.  She was fashionable and had been in the business for a little over 12 years. 

"Madelaine, do you have the draft of the set designs for the photo shoot." I opened my desk drawer and handed her the manila folder.  I looked at the clothes and could pick out three that Victoria wouldn't want after looking at the set designs.  The set designs were Grecian temples with the idea that they  were going to make the models dress up like the gods and goddesses only with designers like Chanel or Alexander McQueen. 

After the long day of getting corrections and going to meetings and taking notes, I was out. I was going back to my apartment when I noticed something. Photographers, only 5, standing outside and waiting for someone.  I noticed they were focused on me. 

Why?