Chapter 2

Viktor Krum

I had seen that Draco Malfoy around Hogwarts constantly and couldnt help noticing him every time he swaggered passed me with the gorilla-shaped boys Crabbe and Goyle, both of whom had fathers that were rather too friendly with Karkaroff (supporters of You-Know-Who or Death Eaters). Pansy Parkinson choked the first day I was there so I saved her and wasted my first day as Champion waiting in the Hospital Wing talking rubbish to Parkinson so that I could meet Draco Malfoy. The boy was shorter than me put not by much, his hair was perfectly blonde and sleek, his eyes deep and grey and his face his face was the most perfect Id ever seen. Harry Potter had become the fourth Champion, a thing that nobody seemed to have understood and Karkaroff was sure was a plot for Hogwarts to win. Harry Potter was too young to take part in the tournament and if anyone that young deserved to be in the tournament it should have been Draco Malfoy, hes perfect and looked like he could do with some cheering up, although I wasnt sure how much fun the tournament would be.

So Ive been charming these badges and they are nearly ready; Ive them reading Support Cedric Diggory – the real Hogwarts Champion and flashing to a blank one but I dont know what I want that one to say. What sounds better: Potter stinks or Potter Cheated? asked Draco, intellectually to his cronies Crabbe and Goyle who both grunted nonchalantly. I tricked old Flitwick into teaching me all the charms I needed and once Ive finished one Ill be able to duplicate them easily! Both the gorillas laughed. Draco is so intelligent, I certainly couldnt have made badges like that when I was in fourth year, or even fifth year. I didnt believe Potter did cheat or that Dumbledore set it up but I did think it was unfair on Cedric Diggory who Id never heard of.

Oooooh, I like Potter Cheated, simpered Pansy Parkinson who appeared to have arrived out of nowhere. Draco stared at her, disgust on his perfect face.

Nobody asked you, Parkinson. Draco reminded her, fairly.

I understand that you might struggle with fighting off a dragon, I wouldnt expect you to be that powerful. What you want to do is hit it straight in the eye, thats their weakest spot so aim there. I was thinking something like a Conjunctivitis Curse that should distract it for time to get passed it, assuming thats what youll have to do. Youll need to practise before then, of course, maybe get Karkaroff to help you. I read my fathers words in disbelief. It wasnt that I was surprised by my fathers lack of faith in me but I had not expected his advice. It was not bad advice, either so I decided to consider taking it. Despite what my father said, I am not stupid and I do know the basics of performing a Conjunctivitis Curse and could certainly learn it in a week or so.

We sat down at dinner on that day and I plucked up the courage to ask: Um, Draco, do you know a Conjunctivitis Curse? He looks thoroughly taken back but nods without truly meeting my eye. This doesnt dampen my spirit because I now have a chance to spend true time with him.

Would you be able to help me learn one? I tried to sound perfectly confident and nonchalant. He smiles suddenly:

As long as you use it on Potter! He smirks. I laugh a little. He is funny.