xii

"so what does your mum do?"

michael and luke were making their way back to luke's house and playing twenty questions.

"she's an astronomer," luke answered.

"that's so cool."

"yeah. and she's home a lot."

"and what about your dad?"

"he left when i was really young. has a family in new york, i think. but he still sends money."

michael squeezed luke's hand before dropping it, as they were in front of luke's house. he didn't want luke's mom to see.

"mom! we're back!" luke screamed when they came in through the door. there was no answer.

luke shrugged and walked upstairs to his room, michael following close behind.

in luke's room, they found his mom sitting on his bed, her head in her hands. she looked up as they entered.

"mom? what are you..."

luke's eyes drifted to his computer and he shut his eyes. she had been looking at the pictures he had taken on his camera before he left. there were pictures of luke and michael kissing, hugging, just laughing.

"mom, i-" he began.

"no. i just. can i talk to you? in private."

luke nodded quickly and turned to michael. "you can wait in he-"

"michael, you can go home. luke, i'll be in the kitchen," she said as she walked out of the room.

michael remained silent.

"come back tonight," luke whispered in his ear, quickly kissing his cheek before running out.