Never Let Me Go

(just a short fluffy one for you, hope this actually makes sense because I was half asleep whilst writing this so sorry if it sucks :/ )

ages : 28 years old (El) and 29 years old (Mike)

They would never forget the moment that they laid eyes on their daughter. Her eyes were big and brown, filled with such expression as she blinked up at them. It was as if she had the entire universe swimming in her eyes, every crevice made up of stars and supernovas, the most beautiful little thing that they created. As soon as her tiny hand curled onto Mike's thumb, holding on tight, he knew that he could never let anything hurt her. Mike and El shared a teary eyed kiss, tasting their own tears of happiness as they stared down at the little miracle in her arms. All of her life she had felt worthless, like she never truly deserved happiness - always led to believe that she would be punished for not doing as she was told. But as she looked into her daughter Elara's eyes, she knew that she was put on this earth to protect her little miracle. Every ounce of her swelled up with the same protectiveness that she felt over Mike, knowing that she would use herself to shield her entire family over and over again. 

Throughout her first years, Mike and El had fretted over their daughter more than was strictly necessary. She was so fragile and delicate, every inch of her skin soft and sensitive, and they feared that the slightest amount of hurt would destroy her completely. They both knew that pain was inevitable, that heartbreak would always be something to experience when she grew older, but they wanted to shelter her for as long as they could. 

"D-Daddy" Elara huffed, pushing his arms away from her. 

Mike swallowed back his emotion, trying to keep the shakiness out of his voice as he watched his four year old squirm in his hold. She was always curious, wanting to explore the world around her as if she couldn't feel the same fears that they did. 

El nudged him gently. "Mike" she told him, "she has to go, okay?"

"Just one more minute" he whined, continuing to kneel down so that he was level with his precious daughter. He left small kisses on her cheeks until she giggled, squirming in his hold for him to let her go explore her new surroundings. It was only the first day of Kindergarten but he already wasn't ready for her to go out into the world, knowing how many dangers it was filled with - normal or supernatural. 

"Mike, come on!" El giggled. 

He sighed, letting go of his daughter slightly who blinked up at him hopefully. He kept a gentle hold on her hand for a moment, giving her a serious look. "Remember what we talked about? You need to make sure that you are careful, okay?"

"Yes" Elara whined, looking over with wide eyes at the new toys. 

Once their pride and joy had successfully escaped, they watched her hand in hand, her little legs bouncing off to go and discover new things. Elara immediately giggled at the new toys, waving confidently to the other children in her class, settling down beside them to play. The room was bright and colorful, kind staff encouraging the children with different activities, keeping written trackers of their progress for their parents. El was so proud of her daughter for being so confident, something that she still struggled to be over the years, but she knew that the little girl was strong enough to handle herself. She glanced over at her husband, grinning knowingly when she saw his small pout, an adorable frown kissing his features. She tightened her grip on his hand, pecking his cheek and mumbling encouraging phrases into his ear. 

"She'll be fine" she whispered, "I promise."

He grumbled under his breath. "I know...I just-"

"Worry" she finished, giggling at his glare. "I know you do, Mike. I am worried about her all of the time but she will end up hating us if we hold her back from everything. We can't protect her from everything, you know."