Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve:

I woke sometime in the morning. My eyes refused to open, so I just lay where I was. I opened them when I realized that I was comfortable.

                I was in the bed now, and Zayden was nowhere to be seen. I could hear him in the bath chamber, most likely preparing himself for the trip. An image of Zayden carrying me onto the bed flashed across my mind, and I instantly shook it away, failing to avoid the flush of red appearing on my face.

                I had dreamed that night. I dreamed that I had gotten to Oberon Village. I was with Dorian, and Nessie. I was with Rosalind, Laurette, and their mother.

                I was also with Zayden.

                I was sitting next to Zayden in my dream. We were at a marriage, and I wondered who was getting married. Zayden had his hand in mine and I saw soldiers sitting in some of the seats, so I thought we had to use our romantic act. I leaned against him and continued watching.

Nessie was getting married in my dream, and suddenly she grew rapidly, growing up to look exactly like me, which was kind of odd since she was blonde and blue-eyed whereas I was a redhead and grey-eyed. Then I took her place, walking  alongside my father, still looking the way he looked four years ago when I last saw him. We looked up at the altar and saw Dorian.

                Then I had woken up.

                My thoughts lingered towards Dorian – I missed him very much, and my sadness was turning into pain which balled up in my stomach.

                I took a breath and forced myself to clear my head. Crying about Dorian wasn’t going to bring me to him. I needed to act, and I needed to do it quick.

                We were inching our way out of the city, trying to be as ambiguous as possible.

Zayden and I didn’t exchange many words. That meant I had more room to think, and every time I did, my thoughts wandered to where I didn’t want them to – to Dorian.

                We were strolling our way out of the marketplace when I heard shouts behind me. At first I ignored it, thinking it was just a little quarrel. Then I heard a woman scream and something break. Zayden and I turned around at once to see the commotion.

“Please, no-don’t take him away!” a woman shouted. She looked much older than me. She clung to a bronze plate in her arms and looked at two Regals, who gripped a little boy by his shoulders. “He isn’t even fourteen yet! You cannot take him!”

“We do as we please in the name of the King.” The lead Regal said.

“No, I don’t want to go!” the boy shouted. He clearly wasn’t fourteen – he could barley pass for ten.

“What’s going on here?” Zayden asked, stepping in. My eyes widened – I hadn’t expected him to move. I stepped forward, grabbing his arm.

“You speak after us, boy.” The Regal said. He walked up to Zayden and puffed his chest. My grip on Zayden’s arm tightened when the soldier spoke: “What is your name?”

“Herb.” Zayden said, turning to the woman. Did he just give himself his own nickname? “What misfortune are these men bringing upon you?”

I slammed my hand onto my face. Zayden talked differently than normal commoners – he was sure to stand out now.

“Please – they’re taking my son for the war.” She sobbed. “I have no one left but him.”

“All families must turn in their fair share of men.” The Regal informed the woman.