Chapter Nine

I jumped at him first, our ‘swords’ meeting in mid-air. I had been prepared for a strong blow, but not as strong as this. He easily hauled me back, sending me flying into a nearby tree. I heard a snap as the branch I hit broke off, and I landed on the ground a little sloppily.

                “You’d better not cry. The most annoying thing in the world is when a woman cries.” Zayden scowled. “From you, it would also be quite humorous.” He winked at me.

                “Don’t worry about me. Just don’t go bursting into tears when I pin you to the ground.”

                “Not going to happen,” he said. He faked an attack on my right but I saw it coming and came up behind him. He turned around and I pressed the soft end of the stick into his shoulder blade. He bounced back and stuck his leg out, sweeping me off my feet. I raised my stick, but he grabbed it, stopping it in midair. He twisted the stick and in turn, my hand. I lost my grip . I reached to grab at the knife at his belt but instead swiped at the waterskin, causing it to burst open. Water poured all over me. Zayden took the chance and struck a blow at my knee, sending me to the ground.

                “You’re leaving yourself so open. You fight vulnerably.” The prince said, pressing his branch into my shoulder blade.

                I shook my head, beads of water flying off the ends. “I am not vulnerable.” I grabbed his branch and yanked it forward, causing him to lose his balance. He fell on top of me and I reached for his belt and grabbed the knife. I kneed him in the stomach so he fell back. Turning over, I pinned his legs with my knees. I held his arms above his head and placed the knife under his chin.

                “Who’s vulnerable now?” I asked, water dripping off my chin and onto his bare chest. I could feel his heart pound against it.

                “You haven’t won yet.” Zayden said. He brought his head forward, so the knife I held cut into his throat. I pulled it back, gasping. Catching me off guard, he grabbed me by the wrists and shifted his weight. Within seconds, we were table-turned. Now I was the one pinned to the ground with the knife held to my throat. I looked up at him in disbelief.

                “The thing with girls is that they have such big hearts.” He smiled. He let the knife trail down to my left collarbone. “You can’t miss them.” he threw the knife aside and brought his face closer. I turned away.

                “Get off.” I told him, my voice still.

                His nose brushed lightly against my cheek and I shivered. “Don’t I get a prize in return? For winning?” his voice was low and husky. My heartbeat soared and i could tell that my face was bright red. I forced myself to stay calm.

“No.” I said sternly, looking at his face. “Get off me.” I shoved him aside and scrambled to my feet. I soon as I regained my posture, I looked down at him.

He looked at me for a long second, and then stood up, brushing off his pants. There was a long silence between us. I waited for my face to relieve itself of its red color. I wasn’t happy with the effect he had on me.

“That’s not funny.” I told him. “You probably have thousands of girls all over you at your castle, but I’m not one of them. Stay away from me.”

“Relax, I was just playing.” He said, casually. “Besides, you are too young for me. What are you, fifteen? Sixteen?”

“Seventeen.” I snarl. Well, almost.