Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen:

I tumbled into the hallways under the ship, searching for my room. The floor came up above me and I leaned against the wall for support. I closed my eyes, trying to concentrate. The music above bounced against the walls and shook my eardrums. I tried to forget my encounter with Zayden, which was easy since my mind felt like water.

I found a door and, thinking it was my bedroom door, walked in head-first.

I yelped when my head hit a wall – this was a closet.

Cursing, I stumbled out and looked for my bedroom.

A certain door appealed to me, so I reached out and opened it. When I did I stumbled in, I found it dark. I regained my posture and reached for an oil lamp to my right. I turned the knob and a small light was aflame. I looked ahead of me and screamed.

I dropped the oil lamp and it rolled to shine directly at the figure in front of me, lighting him up.

I didn’t recognize him at first. Dirt caked every inch of his hair, face, and clothing. He had severe spots on his face that couldn’t have been dirt, but injuries. Bruises and scars. His eyes looked up my horror-reflecting eyes. I recognized those eyes immediately.

It was Nicolai.                                                                           

“June?” I heard someone shout. I stumbled out of the room falling backwards, my head spinning. Did I just imagine Nicolai – my prison guard from the castle?

I felt hands catch me and looked up to see Zayden.

“I heard you scream. What’s wrong?” he asked, our earlier moment forgotten. Still, I shoved him away and went back into the room, picking up the oil lamp.

Sure enough, Nicolai stood, gagged and tied to the wall. He wasn’t alone – many other men I didn’t recognized were tied up with him.

I didn’t think he recognized me, because he closed his eyes again, masking his identity.

“Nicolai?” Zayden questioned, walking into the room.

The prison guard must have recognized Zayden’s voice, for he looked up. His eyes widened and he stifled through his bindings.

“Nicolai, what have they done to you?” Zayden said, immediately hacking away at the rope around Nicolai’s mouth. Nicolai spat and took deep breaths. Then he looked at us.

“Why look who we have here – My majesty the prince and Prowess herself.” He grinned. I didn’t know if he was joking or being serious. He sounded friendly, at least.

Zayden held out a knife and held it to Nicolai’s throat. “Nicolai, you are my friend, so I shall warn you first. I will only unbind you if you promise under the name of my father, that you will not hurt either of us.”

“Worry not, my friend.” Nicolai said, smiling. “I’m your own. I’ve been on your side and always will be, against or for the king. My choice is yours, your majesty.” Nicolai bent his head forward in respect. For some reason, it seemed very appealing.

In a swift move, Zayden cut through the bindings on Nicolai’s arms.

“When did they capture you?” he asked.

“Three days ago. I was part of Prince Brigian’s pack of ten or so men. We were walking alongside the ocean and the Freedom Fighters came out of nowhere. We didn’t even see their ship. They killed three of us, injured two, and captured two of us. The rest escaped.”