Can I Get a Witness

- - -
R E M I 'S PoV

It was 8 in the morning and Leo had already barged in, using the spare key, that I now regret giving him, to wake me up. I quickly got dressed into my usual work attire, A black pencil skirt that ended just above the knee, and a white blouse. Then ate breakfast before leaving, heading towards the police station.

                       - - -

                       - - -

"You remember what I told you right Leo? Don't say anything leave this to me, this is my job I'll try my best to help your friend," I say while we walked into the police station up to the front desk.

"Hi, I'm here to see Eli Moretti, I'm his lawyer," I say smiling at the woman on the front desk. She tuts in reply and motions another officer to lead us into the interview room.

The police officer opens up the door, welcoming me to the usual dark dingy room that I've sat in many times. There was a small grey plastic table and three matching chairs. A man sat on the other side handcuffed, who looked too comfortable to be sitting in a police station, possibly about to go to jail if I didn't do my job well enough. Even sitting down you could tell he was tall, maybe 6'3 from a guess. His caramel coloured skin was covered in tattoos that you could see peeking out from under his clothing. His face was blank and had a sharp look to it, because of his high cheekbones and defined jawline. He almost looked...hot.

I tried to tell myself that I should not be think about how good he looked right now, even though he had been in a cell for possibly a few days, but couldn't help myself from examining his features.

Leo and the police officers waited outside as I sat down. He hadn't looked up once and hardly moved until I had sat and put his folder on the table.

"I'm Remi Harris, Leo asked me to be your lawyer, but I'm sure you're already aware of this," I say looking at him, not expecting a response. Until he finally looked up at me scanning over my face.

"avevano ragione, sei carina" he said quietly to himself. I ignored him and carried on.

"Care to explain what's happened Mr Moretti?"

"The police used to be under my pay role, if he hadn't gone behind my back I would've been out of here by now," I could here a slight tinge of Italian accent, but I wasn't sure.

"I'm going to need a better explanation than that," I say not looking up, eying his folder in front of me.

Age: 29
Area of birth: Italy
Family members:Cedro Moretti , Laura Moretti , Samuele Moretti
Info: Believed to run a mafia, has been arrested for the following;
Drug possession
Drug trafficking
Weapon trafficking

I looked through the rest of the pages, looking at the little evidence they had. It was all word of mouth and nothing solid seem to catch my eye.

He saw me scanning through his documents, piecing the evidence they gave together.

"Your Leone's sister right?"

"Yes I am,"

"Good, then I can somewhat trust you," he said taking the document from my hands, flicking through the pages.
"There was a break in at the warehouse, someone must of framed me, put the drugs and weapons there. We're too careful, no one would of left any evidence,"

It was obviously true he was a mafia leader, and I wasn't sure how I felt about it. I didn't know much about mafias. As far as my knowledge went was they were big gangs that sold drugs.

"Warehouse?"

"Oh come on, your not an idiot fill in the gaps," he smirked.

I huffed slightly, he wasn't saying it directly which was clever, meaning no one could get any evidence against him.
"It says you're suspected to run a mafia. That's correct, right?"
He doesn't answer, which in some ways was good, because he knew when to stop talking. How to not get himself in trouble.

That's why I recognised his name, he's the guy everyone talks about. Ruthless murderer. The one no one ever sees but only hears of. He was the biggest mafia owner in the country.

I brush the sick feeling away, continuing.
"The good news is they have hardly any evidence, it's all just suspicion..." I pause taking the paper back fiddling with the edges.
"Tell me something, my brothers not involved with any of this is he?" I wanted him to tell me no of course he's not even though it was silly trying to convince myself.

"How old are you?" He asks, leaving me confused.
"I'm 25, why?"
"Pretty young for a good lawyer, that's if your as smart as everyone says you are," he says looking me straight in the eyes with a blank face.
"Your pretty young to be the leader of the biggest mafia in the country," I shot back, watch his face morph into a small smile and then back onto his cold blank face.

Somehow, just him only sitting there made me feel so small. So defenceless. I felt as if I had lost the little power I had, my intelligence, and needed to keep my head held high.

"When did you get the idea that I was a mafia leader?" My mouth opens to respond but don't get time.

The door opens and the previous police officer steps inside.
"Times up"

Just as I got up Eli popes up saying, "Leone is my second in command if you hadn't guessed it already,"