Chapter Three

Start writing your story

One. Two. Three. Four.

Five. 

An odd number, boasting none of the grandiose finality of seven nor the sanctity of three. It certainly lacks the spice of six. Five. A strange choice indeed. 

1, 2, 3, 4, 5. 

I've miscounted, that's all. 

And as the watcher began to count again, a maddening sense of dread set in. It was something the watcher had not felt in a very long time.

No that can't be right. I've missed one. But... there it is again, 1,2,3,4,5. 

The watcher did not believe in coincidence. One of them knows.

~

"Welcome to the inaugural meeting of the Martinsville Amnesiac Book Club," Ron said as he sat.

Brian smiled, Helena slapped his shoulder, and Moira giggled.

"That has a nice to ring to it," Residnikov said.

"So you all read the first chapter, right," Ron asked.

They nodded.

"And what did everyone think?"

"Sheesh," Brian said, "You're straight to business aren't you? I thought at least we'd order first."

Helena nudged him in the ribs. "I liked it," she said. "But I'm not the biggest fan of either of the two characters."

"Why," Anatoly asked. "George is doing his best to look after Lennie, and Lennie can't help being the way he is."

Helena turned to him, "Lennie strikes me as dangerously selfish. He can't handle living mice, because if they resist his whims he'll pinch their heads until they die. He kills for nothing more than pleasure. But you're right, he can't help the way he is, that's why I'm on the fence about George. That one almost condones Lennie's actions, even saying he might get the brute a puppy."

"Interesting take," Ron said, "But you said you liked it, right?"

"They suck, but they need each other," She said with a lazy smile, "l I think that's kinda beautiful."

Brian scratched his chin. "I don't think they suck. Like Anatoly said, George is doing his best. Lennie is too, in his own way."

Moira studied Residnikov, staring openly. When Anatoly noticed he became uncomfortable and fidgeted in his seat.

"I find it interesting how much this chapter has to do with memory," Moira said, not taking her eyes off of Anatoly.

So she wants to play with me? Or is she just intrigued. "Me too," Anatoly said. "Lennie can't remember where he's been or where he's going.  It's a little eerie. I can't help but wonder if, before the accident, I had some premonition of the way that'd identify with me someday."

Helena gave him a sympathetic look pat on the arm.

Moira smiled. She was about to say something when the waitress came over with her yellow notepad to take their orders. They all ordered coffee and a medley of eggs, pancakes, and toast. In a triumphant tone Brian announced that the bill was on him, which, after some resistance from Moira and Ron, was met by a smattering of applause.

"See," Ron said, "I knew there was a reason I invited you! Look at that, Anatoly, what'd I tell you? I'm an expert at putting these groups together!"