Chapter 7 Glacie - The sky is falling

It was about noon, it was hard to tell as they had orbited the planet several times already that day and they relied on their own sense of time. The children of SC-D would rely on each other's routines to tell weather it was morning, day or night. It was rather inaccurate, but it worked well enough for them to function as a society. Glacie had managed to scrounge up some ortomitz, she had gotten it from a charity centre. These were few and far between due to the high poverty rate, the generals and elders saw no point in adding them to the Deltas. She had stood in line for almost two hours for a quite pitiful portion of stale crystal. Glacie had split what little food she had with some local younglings. Despite her being the 'local hooligan' she was very popular with the younger children and their parents, she always did her best to help them in any way she could. Overall, it was shaping up to be a pretty good day so far. She'd gotten herself a, what she thought, was a really cool scarf; she'd caused trouble for the soldiers, always a good thing and had been able to help some in similar situations to when she was younger. Unfortunately, this couldn't last forever.

"Code Delta, Evacuate immediately to the nearest porting dock. SC-D is failing." An automated voice boomed throughout the city, loud-speakers on every corner. This couldn't be happening. The city was falling. She could feel the rumbling of pounding feet, hear the people yelling as the scrambled out of buildings, alleyways and whatever nook and cranny they had been cramped into. This hadn't happened in many years, it was impossible! "Bal! we need to leave now." She said, her voice breaking as she scooped up her pet. They were far off from the next porting dock, but she was confident in her ability to navigate the quickest route. There were children of all ages running through the streets. She would have been trampled had she gone that way, thinking that something like that would happen Glacie ran atop ledges and walls. She could feel the SC shaking, her path to safety was crumbling before her. But she was too high to get down quickly and safely. The streets were bare now, all had made it, she could see them in the distance though. She could make it. As she thought this however, the ledge beneath her crumbled away as she fell.

Glacie hit the ground, landing on her left leg, pain shot up as the adrenaline died out. It looked broken. "I'm sorry Bal, we aren't going to make it to the docks..."She spoke, her voice shaking. Bal gave her a nudge, twittering softly. She sat up, leaning on a fallen door letting Bally sit in her lap as the lights in the city went out and started falling.

Everything ached. Everything was wet. Wet? She opened her eyes and sat up gingerly, taking in her surroundings. The SC had crashed into the sea and was half submerged. After her brief moment of confusion, she shot up, much to the protest of her aching limbs, and went about searching for Bal. The whole point of coming to the surface was to live here WITH Bal. If Bally wasn't here, there wasn't a point. Just as she turned a corner, ducking under a stray metal post, a small, fluffy, purple ball launched at her, sending her sprawling in the knee-deep waters. "Bal! We made it!" She exclaimed, picking herself up again. He leaped into her arms, bug-like wings buzzing, and looked up. They stood there and looked up to the sky, for the very first time.

"We're home."