Chapter 16 Dewdrop - Strange New Friend

Dewdrop began to run. That was a close call. If that human book fell out, she would most definitely be killed... or worse, exiled. With water splashing quietly beneath the small Children's feet, she avoided any run-ins with other water clan members. She slipped through a few of her familiar alleyways as she clutched her bag to her chest in fear of her losing it again. She eventually stopped in an unfamiliar area and took small gasps for air as she tried to regain her balance. A blow of gentle wind brushed past her, feeling lighter than what she's used to. A quick glance at her surroundings caused her eyes to widen a bit.

Dark blue water like walls were behind the young water Children, she was standing on something different. Light, fluffy and a strange almost see-through substance is beneath her small feet. A gentle breeze of wind past her as if sending off warning yet... also welcoming her in a way. The wind flew through her long blue hair and cause her lips to lift as well pulling them into a small yet satisfied smile.

Walls surrounded her looking like a light, gentle, fluffy and foggy alleyway. She relaxed slightly and shifted her feet through the ground, checking if they'll fall through the almost transparent floor beneath and into the shallows of grey water. She let out a small giggle when some of the sections of the ground lift in reaction to her movement but get immediately replaced and filled with other strange fog like fluff.

"What's this call- Clouds!" Dewdrop expressed quickly remembering the name of the strange substance she's only ever read about. Why hadn't she seen it before? That's right! She read it in that air clan book from one of the people in her clan who bought it then threw it out! She also remembered this area from before when she ran in here.

A sense of pride surrounded her. She remembered something about another clan. Wait... another clan? Where was she?

Realization replaced the success which once gave her an ego lift. Her body moved in a spin, hair following soon after in the turn. She stared down a dark and damp alleyway. She wasn't in the water clan side anymore. She was in the air clan side! Fear gripped the young girl. A sense of dread fell over her as her hair stopped flowing. It was as if time had stopped.

Suddenly the wind began blowing again and a hand landed on her shoulder. Dewdrop jumped and began to run towards the water clan's dark alley, away from whatever was behind her.

She ran away, but no one followed. With terror, she turned her head to face whatever was behind her. There was a man in front of her. He had a dark shade of blue, almost a dark grey, in his hair, pulled to the side and spiked up in random places. He looked middle aged and was wearing a once white waistcoat with small tears in at the hem, a dark blue hood that shielded his eyes and cast a shadow over his face. Long torn grey dress pants and thick black boots. The water clan symbol planted on his chest. He had bright blue eyes with specks of gold in them. Strange. He begins to give the small girl Children a soft smile.

"Greetings." His voice was hoarse and strained.

Dewdrop was frozen. Emotions raced through her mind as well as thoughts as she tried to figure out what to do.

The man shoved Dewdrop back into the water clan side gently. He then turned and walked away from the small girl.

She replied with a sweet smile and a small giggle. "I'm Dewdwop!" She called after him, jumping up and down happily, following behind him.

"Shouldn't you go home?" Kritanta replied, slightly confused kneeling down to her level. "What were you doing on the air clan side?"

"I was wunning fwom scawy man and wooman!" Dewdrop giggled. No, she wasn't happy to say what happened, she was happy to be able to finally talk to someone and be treated like another normal Children.

The man's was overcome with fear. "That's not good... Do you know if they're still around?" He asked looking around the alley in case he's being watched, as if he's expecting it.

"No no... I don' know..." The younger Children said still looking at him in awe wondering what he's looking for. "Lost something?"

The older male laughed airily as if he thought she was joking. "No... I'll be happy if I did lose someone though..." He said looking back at Dewdrop.

"Can I stay with you?" She commented, hoping he'd say yes. No one had parents around here. Some may visit, but none were allowed to stay.

The male's face showed his sadness and irritation he feels for the younger Children. "Sorry to hear that..." He said gently to the younger as he walked away.

Dewdrop smiles brightly and happily. She giggled happily as she followed him.

The man gave her an amused smile, letting the girl follow him even though he seemed uncomfortable. He led her out of the alley pulling up a hood over his head which was hidden within his coat. That's odd. It's like he's trying to hide.

"What's your name?" Dewdrop called after him.

He turned to look down at the small girl he couldn't seem to shake. "Kirtanan."