Chpt 1

Sitting quietly in the back of the private room, I was lost in my work. My uncle had called me a month ago and told me he got hired to be an assistant director and he was allowed to hire five people to work for him during the duration of the filming. He asked me to come to Louisiana to work with him. It would be my second movie, so I said yes. I didn’t care who was cast in the movie. I didn’t care what I was going to be doing.

My focus was finishing my Master’s Degree Thesis so I could get my Master’s Degree from the University of Georgia. I had my books stacked up as I was going through them trying to put the finishing touches on my thesis. I had been working tirelessly on my thesis for four months. It was the only big thing I had left to do for school and to graduate in May. I had gotten permission from my lead professor to finish on site in Louisiana but I had to have it to him by May 1st.

My very thick, very curly, natural red hair was twirled up and pinned into a big bun directly on top of my head. My fair, freckled skin had this odd glow about it underneath the lights in the private room I was sitting in. My blue eye and green eye were covered by my teal blue framed glasses as I began typing on my lap top. My thesis had over 200 pages to it. Professor Dale told me to wow him and I planned on doing just that with my thesis on the romanticism and feminism of vampires.

“Hey Mimi, you want a beer,” my cousin Trent called out from the private bar.

“Yeah, bring me a Amberbock,” I said with a raised voice.

“You got it. You know that pop is going to want you to stop working on that when people start coming in.”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever. I’ve got to get this done.”

“I know you do,” he said, sat the beer down and sat down opposite of me.

Trent and I did not favor at all. I looked nothing like that side of my family and they’re the ones that raised me from the age of 10. I never knew my father. He left my mother when I was just six months old. My mother, Trent’s dad’s sister, died when I was 10 in a car wreck. She was hit by a drunk driver. She lost her life and he lost his because he was now sitting in prison.

My grandparents were too old to take care of me, so Uncle Paul and his family took me in. Trent and I were the same age. We got along great. I was a bit different from the Meredith family. My uncle tried to get my last name changed when I was a teenager but the judge said no, even though my dad legally signed away his rights to me. When I turned 21-years-old, I legally went and changed my last name to Meredith and drop that piece of shit’s name. I loved my first name, but had grown accustomed to my nickname - Mimi.

My mother had a love of Greek Mythology all her life and adorned me with the name Artemis when I was born. My name was Artemis Storm Meredith.

“Are you excited to see who is working on the movie,” Trent asked making a face at me, bringing me out of my work.

“I don’t care. They’re just people, Trent.”

Trent’s ruffled black hair moved as he laughed; “You’re kidding right? You’re not to least bit excited?”

“No, I don’t care.”

We noticed that the door opened and turned to look. A few people filtered into the room. The room was dimly lit, so I couldn’t tell who they were.

“Did you bring your violin,” Uncle Paul asked.

“I did bring it, because you asked me to.”

“Great. You will play it tonight?”

“We’ll see, Paul.”

“That’s all I ask.”

“Great,” he said and walked off.