6

10/15/14

Today I went to the horse draw for a schooling show at my barn. I got a number towards the end of the line and I was super nervous about not getting a good pick. I asked for my first choice, held my breath, and the girl with the horse list put a little star next to the mare's name and told me I could have her. My heart filled up and I finished the registration form, adding my favorite horse's name under mine and signing up for the jumper classes. I'm doing the whole jumping division so I qualify for the division champ and reserve champ awards. The division includes an 18" crossrail course, a 2' course, and a Gambler's Choice round. I don't have to do any flat classes this time, what a relief. I showed this horse over the summer in four flat classes and two jumping; the four flat classes were terrible with my crazy mare running around the ring with her head high and tail swishing, and in the two jumping classes I had a smooth, flowing, channeled horse underneath me that listened to every cue I gave her. This horse is like a quarter, a flip side to her mood. Her name is Lady's First, barn name "Hilde", and she is my perfect baby girl. I wouldn't exchange a thing for that rolling canter, her horrendously bouncy trot, her extremely hot temperament, her automatic flying lead changes, her confident jump, her soft muzzle, her puppy dog eyes, her face expression when she knows I have a treat for her; anything about her. I wish she were mine to keep, but just riding her and knowing that she knows me is good enough.