Compromise

"Wait." Estelle studied the archery range, trying to hide from memories of Kui's triumph by focusing on her only skill. "Jason, the range is low. Very low."

"It is." He grinned. "Good eyes."

Estelle rolled her eyes. "Why is the range low?"

"Because you're going to shoot this." Jason produced an apple from a bag at his side.

"I can hit it at–"

"I'm going to throw it." And he did, and he caught it and took a bite. "I'll be standing down there, and I'll throw it high up into the air. Then you shoot it."

"Oh...joy."

"Not going to bet on hitting it first-try?"

"Maybe not this time."

"Clever girl."

She struggled at first, but archery came easy. After all, she'd shot moving prey on her hunting trips. This was no different. After a few shots, she had the hang of the drill, and her shots consistently nailed apples to the target board in a neat row even as Jason extended the range again and again, laughing every time she succeeded.

He had such a booming, joyous laugh...

Pistols came next, to her mixed delight and worry. Estelle didn't like guns, but they certainly packed more of a punch than a bow.

"The downside," Jason said as Estelle coughed and waved smoke out of her face, "is that they're loud, unmistakable, and somewhat crude. Plus, hard to reload. Inaccurate."

"Not a gun fan either?"

"Oh, I like guns." Jason tapped the one on his hip for emphasis. "But they are tools: like all tools, they have their uses and they have their drawbacks. Bows are much more practical in some situations–but you can split the difference and carry both when you're a Whisper." He studied her. "Ever shot a matchlock?"

"Oh, yes. Every day since I could walk." Estelle put her hands on her hips. "How many women do you know who have shot matchlocks, Jason?"

"Around here? You'd be surprised."

"Fair enough." Estelle inclined her head. "Mainland women. Nuremite women. I didn't grow up in some kind of mercenary clan out near Shara."

"Hah." His laughter gave her a little shiver she would never admit to Kui. Jason reached out and took her wrist. He patted her arm, and though she gave him a quizzical eyebrow-raise...she didn't stop him. Did he notice? "I think you're strong enough you could lift one. They're heavy."

"Like the lizards I shot and carried to the cave?"

"We'll try next time. I'll make a marksman...markswoman? Is that a word? Whatever. I'll make a crack shot out of you yet."

"Tomorrow, then?" Estelle checked the intricate clock on the range wall. "It's almost time for supper."

"Tomorrow, I have other plans for you." Jason patted her hand before releasing her, and Estelle tried not to sigh when his touch vanished. "You and I are going hiking."

"Where to?"

"Wherever I say. We'll hike, we'll make a camp when it gets dark, and then..." Jason chuckled under his breath. "Let's just say we're going to have a lot of fun."

***

"Ow! Ow-ow-ow!" Estelle rubbed at her arm, sitting by the campfire and scowling. Rain fell lightly across the island, but here inside the very same cave where Estelle had made so much of her life, they were warm and dry. "You hurt me! A lot."