Part Two

Flashes illuminated the stormy grey sky, lighting up the clouds as night-time enveloped the scene, like a heavy blanket encompassing all of the dangers and fears that lurked outside. Bright green trees stood out against the sky – dark like onyx, with a touch of deep blue, like the colour of the ocean at great depth. The rain was sudden; it started as a light rattling sound, almost imperceptible, and then rapidly ballooned into a crescendo of loud booms, and a constant pattering like bullets hitting the ground – cacophonical, but oddly soothing. However it was, unfortunately, inconsistent. The rain kept stopping and starting, like the Great Sky couldn't decide whether the storm was more threatening with the deluge of water pouring down, or with a clear view of the powerful beams of light so bright that it was hard to watch the storm face-on. It was strangely fascinating; she found herself transfixed by the intermittent flashes, and sudden rumbles, as though it were a most interesting movie. Soon, the rain slowed to a background pitter-patter, not easily visible, but very much still present, and making itself known through the regular noises it made as it landed on the roofs above. The rumbles sounded less often, and a flood of disappointment filled her as the excitement within her at the prospect of a thunderstorm waned due to the lack of action. It was strange, and sadistic – masochistic, even – as she wished for some level of destruction to occur. Either nearby, or even to her own home. She wanted to witness the power of Mother Nature firsthand, the incredible prowess of precise lightning bolts, accompanied by the ominous echoes of thunder. As even the flashes began to slow, she found herself sighing in disappointment, and then reprimanding herself – no, she shouldn't wish for such negative things to befall anyone, even herself. She had to remind herself that she was a positive person, a good person, someone who could never wish for others' downfall. She had to water down the secret darkness within her, conceal it with tape and glue, for it could never fully be banished, only stowed away in the furthest crevice of her being, never to see the light of day. As the storm finally ended, she masked her upset with feigned relief. Yay, thank goodness the storm was over! They were lucky it hadn't caused any harm...