Leave Something Behind

It was 2010, and the boys just clocked seventeen years. They didn't realise that this day would become a turning event for the rest of their lives. A popular family named The Daniels, know to run a multi billion-dollar company, arrived at the front of the orphanage, directly beside the fountain, in a white Rolls Royce to adopt a child. They specified with the head caretaker that they were looking for a young boy that they could provide for. The head caretaker kindly showed them around before introducing Morgan to them. Again, Morgan gracefully rejected them whilst pleading with them to choose his dear friend, James. The family listened to the reason of the young boy and accepted his wishes with only one condition. "We can only take one boy, but we will give you our name as family," the woman in red said. She was known as Mrs. Daniels, the one who always and only says no even to the press; everyone was shocked at the fact that she actually accepted the request of someone that she just met.

Eventually, James was picked up by The Daniels and became the heir to the company that very day. Morgan quickly helped James pack up his belongings for the journey he was about to embark on. It was just their birthday a few days ago and now they might part ways forever. James was about to hop into the white Rolls Royce when he heard Morgan yell from the Orphanage window, "Let's meet in 2017, bro!!".  James nodded with a teary smile and yelled back, "Till 2017," while they both lifted their fists to the air. Morgan silently watched as his best friend joyfully fled from his life in a glamorous looking car; he really wanted to cry out loud, but he knew he had to be the strong one. The voluntary caretaker, Helen, quietly walked up to Morgan, who was now putting on a smile and gave him a hug.

That evening was the group excursion the orphanage had planned for the kids to an aquarium, just to allow the children see the outside world from time to time. Caretakers had gathered the kids into the blue buses that now sat beside the fountain. Morgan had kindly told them that he wasn't in the mood to leave because he needed to rest. The head caretaker understood what had happened and let him have this leave of absence. She told him that if he needed anything that he could as the Dean, whose office was right above his. As soon as the excursion was a go, the orphanage became extremely quiet. Morgan walked down memory lane as he though of James; he casually walked to his room and collapsed on his bed to take a quick nap. 

The orphanage excursion group returned home only to be welcomed by noise and fear. It was brimming with red and blue lights; sirens echoed all around. The caretakers asked the kids to sit back in their seats as they gazed at the horror that befell the lovely orphanage, The Smile Home, which had burned down with red flames. The firefighters had retrieved a body they claimed to be a young boy; Helen who heard this broke down in tears. If only she knew this would happen, she would have forced Morgan to join them in their excursion. The caretakers were confused when they were told that the boy was the only one in the orphanage because nobody was around. Helen had a burning question she and the Head caretaker kept to themselves, "Where was the Dean?" The horror didn't just end there, after the investigation, it was gathered that the fire had originally started from the room above where the body was found. Helen tried to piece it all together, 'If the fire started in the Dean's room that nobody had access to except the Dean himself that no one has ever seen apparently, where exactly is the Dean?'