Chapter One

Adam's point of view

I wake up with a jolt.

The last thing I remember is One kissing me at the Californian beach.

I look at my surroundings. I'm back in my bedroom, lying on my bed.

Light is just fluttering outside in my window.

"Don't forget to bring me back. Like you promised," I hear. I freeze.

There it is! That voice. It's One's voice. The voice of my best friend, and the girl I love.

But this time, I'm not afraid to look.

I jump up in bed and smile once I see her.

It's One.

My best friend in the whole galaxy.

She's a ghost, just like she was before she disappeared 4 years ago. And she's here.

Tears start forming on my eyes. I can't help but hold back a sob.

"One..." I say.

One smiles at me. "Hey," she says.

I open my mouth to say something but close it again. Instead, I stagger to where One is and am about to hug her when One holds out a hand to stop me.

I flinch. That hurt.

One's face softens when she sees my face. She softly laughs.

"Don't get too emotional," she teases me, as she always did. "I thought we got caught up back at the beach."

I laugh and smirk at her. This is One alright. She never fails to make me laugh. She especially never fails to tease me. This is the Garde whom I fell for all those long years ago.

But before I think of something to say, One grabs me by my collar and pulls me to her.

Then she kisses me.

I pull her closer and kiss her back.

A knock interrupts us.

"Adam?"

I pull back, giving One a wistful smile.

"Yeah," I call back before opening the door.

John is standing there, with a look of concern on his face.

"I heard you saying "One" and I wasn't sure... if..." John trails off as he tries to peek into my room.

I look over to where One is but don't say anything. Maybe John can't see her at all. After all, One is a ghost that only I am able to see, touch, and hear.

One smirks from where she still stands. "I guess I forgot to tell you that you were talking aloud while we were at the Californian beach," she says.

I glance over to her and smile. "That would've been good to know," I say.

"Umm..."

I turn back to John. He looks highly uncomfortable standing there, as if he thought I had gone crazy.

One smirks again. I ignore her this time. Although I admit, it's really hard to do so.

"Uh.. sorry, that was One."

When John looks back at me more confused than ever, One bursts out laughing.

"He can't see me, right?" One asks me.

It seems like he can't, I reply to her in my mind.

I face John again. "One," I say. "Number One is here with me. As a ghost, I mean. Like she was after I was in that coma for three years."