Chapter Two

Sam's point of view

I hold Six's hand as she rests on our bed.

I nervously smile. It's still weird - after two years - to think that we share a bed. I'm not sure how my parents will react to this. I haven't seen them in forever. I should give my mom a call.

Six stirs a little. I quickly turn my attention to her. Maybe after she wakes up. And after we get this resurrection thing figured out.

The door to our bedroom opens. It's John.

He looks stressed, as usual. He looks like he hasn't gotten much sleep or taken a shower in days. Even after the war, he's still restless. Not that I blame him. He still hasn't gotten over Sarah's death. Although I haven't talked to him about it, I know he still blames himself for it.

Which makes me feel bad cause Six and I have each other. He doesn't have Sarah anymore. Neither does Marina have Eight. I rarely knew the dude, but I feel like he'll be a vital role if he were alive. Which makes me gasp.

Of course! Isn't that what our little meeting was about? The resurrection legacy! And if Six really does have the legacy...

I turn to John, with a huge grin on my face. I can't help but feel excited. Sarah could come back! Then I frown when I see his face.

"Why the long face?" I ask, before wishing that I just shut my mouth instead.

John looks like he's forcing a smile. Like I said, he looks stressed, but ten times worse. John sighs and drags his hand over his face. "It's just.." he says, but doesn't continue.

"Is it about Sarah?" I ask.

John looks at me with a surprised look, and nods his head.

"Look John," I say. "One came back, and she died, what? A decade ago? Sarah died three years ago. We could bring her back. Once Six wakes up again." I cast an anxious glance at Six.

John genuinely smiles this time. "Thanks Sam. But that's not the real reason I'm worried.."

He gets cut off as someone lightly knocks on the door.

We both turn to see who it is. John left the door slightly ajar, and I see Marina's figure in the doorway.

"Marina?" I ask.

She steps into the room. "One is awake. So I thought that maybe I could check on Six to see if there's anything I could do?"

When neither John or I say something, she speaks again.

"It's been a day since One was resurrected."

"What!" I say, more as an exclamation than anything. I have been so worried over Six that I haven't even kept track of how long she has been unconscious. It's then that I realize how hungry I am.

Marina has a nervous expression on her face, although I don't know if it's because of what has been going on or something else...

"Yeah," John says. "You can take a look at her. I'm just gonna head out, try to rest before.." He drifts off. He heads for the door.

"Wait," I say. "What were you gonna say--"

"Nothing," he quickly says, before shutting the door behind him.

I glance at Marina. "I-"

She cuts me off. "It's okay. I don't blame him. Everything must be so hard on him, even now," she says quietly, before moving to Six's other side.

I take a deep breath before speaking. I'm not scared of Marina - in fact, she's one of the nicest and most welcoming people I have ever met - but she could be rather terrifying when she's angry or upset. Look at what she did to Five.

"Is.." I start. "Is there something going on between you two?" It just occurred me that this might be true. I recall all those silent stares that they've been giving each other, and the way they kinda seemed to avoid being alone with each other.

Marina stares at me. She doesn't say anything till the point that I think she's gonna charge at me with an icicle, but at the moment that I'm about to apologize, she sighs. She smiles sadly.

"I don't know," she finally says, not looking at me. "I- I thought I had feelings for him after Eight died, and I thought that maybe he'll reciprocate those feelings, but I don't think he does." At a glance to my direction, she quickly adds, "I still love Eight. And I really do wish that he comes back, like One did. But I don't know how John will feel if both Eight and Sarah came back. I know he still loves her, but.. I'm sorry. I don't know why I'm telling you this. I'm just afraid that he'll hold something against me.." Marina puts her head on her hands.

I gently touch her arm. "It's okay," I say dumbly. Dang, I'm not good with girls at all. "I'm sorry. You're afraid who will hold something against you?"

She looks up at me. "John. Well, both John and Eight. I- I kissed John after the war. And if Eight comes back, I'm afraid he might hold it against me too. But I swear, I still love him.. I shouldn't have.." Marina chokes back a sob.

I startle. I feel bad for her, but I definitely wish Six were here - conscious, I mean - to help her. But to my surprise, I instinctively hug her. Marina's soft. Even after Eight died and having developed her ice legacy. Especially now, when all she's hanging on to is the fact that Six might have the resurrection legacy. But she's also strong.

I'm about to say something, when we both hear a groan. I jump and we pull away.

I raise my hands in defense. "That was not me. And it didn't sound like it was coming from you either.."

Marina smiles at me and gives me a quick hug again. "Thank you Sam," she says as she wiped her tears away.

I smile back.

Then we both look down to see Six open her eyes.

She groans again. She blinks a few times, until her eyes land on me and then Marina.

"In Lore's name, what day is it?"

I can't help but grin that she's awake. I squeeze her hand.

Marina smiles at her. I grin even more as she sighs of relief.

"Let Sam catch you up on everything. Then, come meet us in the living room when you're ready. There's someone you might want to meet."

Six looks perplexed as she watches Marina walk out of the room. Just before she leaves, she gives me a thumbs up. I smile.

"Ok, I don't know how long I was out, but you better start talking," Six tells me.

"Oh, I sure will," I say, as I lean down and give her a kiss.