Chapter 10

Sunday 28th October 1962

Jackie Kennedy’s Bedroom

7am

Jackie woke up. She smiled and jumped on Jack. “Bunny wake up.” He slowly sat up. “What?”

“We’re alive.”

He grinned and pulled her on top of him. He kissed her forcefully. Suddenly the door burst open. “Jack, Khrushchev’s on the radio, get downstairs.”

Jack and Jackie got up and dressed before running downstairs to the Oval. Everyone was crowded round the radio, Bobby was getting a transcript.

Jackie stood beside Jack. They waited. After ten minutes Bobby rushed in. “All the ships are turning back and he’s agreed to our demands.”

Jack smiled. Suddenly Jackie rushed into his arms. She buried her head against his chest. Jack kissed the top of her head. All his advisors were clapping. He held Jackie close but looked around the room. “I want to thank you all for your help this week. I think you’ve all earned your pay.”

His advisors laughed and left the room. “Oh Jack. I’m so proud of you.” Jackie whispered stroking his cheek.

“Thank you for staying by me.”

Jackie kissed him until Bobby cleared his throat. “Jack I need to tell you something.”

“What?”

“I’ll leave you both.” Jackie said. Once they were alone Bobby continued. “Khrushchev agreed for us to secretly remove our missiles from Turkey in a few months.”

“Ok, can you work on a reply?”

“Sure, are you going to Glen Ora?”

“Yeah just for a few hours.”

Bobby nodded. Congratulations.”

Jack smiled. “Go home and see Ethel and the kids.”

Bobby laughed. “She may have had another baby.”

Jack chuckled. “Maybe Jackie will have got pregnant.”

“Are you still trying?”

Jack nodded.

“I’m sure it’ll happen soon.”

“I sure hope so.”

Marine One

2pm

Jack sat at the table staring into space. Jackie was watching him. “Bunny what are you thinking?”

“How relieved I am.”

Jackie smiled and sat down beside him. She slowly massaged his shoulders. His back was awful. When they arrived at Glen Ora they went to their room. “I’m going to sleep, I’m exhausted.” Jack said.

She smiled. “I’ll join you.”

He changed into his pyjamas and lay down. For the first time in 13 days he could sleep easy. Jackie got in beside him, she was happy to see Jack resting for once.

5:30pm

When Jack woke he noticed Jackie watching him. “How do you feel?” Jackie asked.

“Refreshed.”

“I left the shower on for you.”

“Thanks.” Jack said before going to the bathroom. The water was nice against his back. When he returned to the bedroom in the towel Jackie guided him to the bed. She started running her hands up his chest. “I think you deserve to have some fun, what do you think?”

“I agree.”

She giggled and started kissing him. He moaned softly and pulled the covers over them.