Chapter 12

When he opened his eyes, everything around him was still blurry, but he could see that there were a lot of people next to him, seemingly in a hurry.

"He opened his eyes!" An unfamiliar voice said and it sounded too loud in Sehyoon's ears. One of the people around him took his arm and another shone into his eyes with a small lamp.

"His pupils react normally." Was that the voice of a woman?

"His pulse seems to slowly normalize, too." In the background Sehyoon heard a beeping. He tried to sit up but his body didn't obey the way he wanted it to.

"Where...where am I?" He asked and his voice came out as a hoarse whisper.

Slowly his sight became clearer and he could see the people around him better. They looked at each other with surprised expressions, before one of the women smiled at him slightly.

"You are in the Cha General Hospital. You might not remember, but you were involved in an accident and...you were in a coma for seven months."

"What?! Only seven months?! But how...I...I've spent years with him! I watched him grow up! How can all this just have been a dream?!"

At the thought of Jason, he felt despair raising in him. He couldn't accept the fact that the younger had apparently really only been an imagination, after everything that had happened and had felt so real. He couldn't just leave him again. Jason needed him! How was Sehyoon supposed to live his life like this? The beeping became louder and faster and the doctor glanced at a monitor, concern written on his face.

"Give him something to calm him down! So much excitement is not good for him yet." He ordered. One of the nurses searched for something in one of the drawers while the other and the doctor tried to calm Sehyoon down.

"I know it's a shock, but you need to keep calm!" The man said. "While lying in a coma, it's possible to imagine things and be in a completely different place, you've never seen before but that's only a sort of dream. So, whoever you are talking about either doesn't exist or will surely visit you in the next few days." He explained but it clearly didn't help Sehyoon to feel better at all.

He tried to get up again but was pressed back into the bed.

"Please, you need to keep lying down! You'll need to recover first."

"No!" He screamed and tried to get out of their grips. "Please! I need to go back! He needs me! I..."

In the meantime, the first nurse had found the tranquillizer and carefully injected it into his arm. Immediately, he felt a leaden fatigue and he tried to fight against it, unsuccessfully.

"I...need...he...," but even forming a sentence seemed too difficult now, just like keeping his eyes open. "No..." was his last word before he passed out.

----

When he became conscious again, the nurses and the doctor were gone and a woman sat next to his bed instead. As soon as she realized that he was awake, she leaned over him, her face full of worry.

"How do you feel? Oh my God, I can't believe you are awake again, they told us there was not much hope left." Tears started to stream down her face and she clasped his hand in her own. Sehyoon frowned and he needed some seconds to recognize her.

"Mother?" He asked. She let out a sob and smiled.

"Yes, it's me. Thank God, you know who I am. I was so afraid you wouldn't..."

"Why wouldn't I recognize my own mother?" He wanted to know and tried to sit up for the second time. But again, he was too weak, so he could only keep lying and stare at her. Meanwhile his mother sighed.