Chapter 6

"Can you ask Noah's grandma if I can work for her too?" Lola asked jokingly after I told her the events of the past day. It was late, almost ten o'clock and we were having a sleepover at my house since it was the weekend.

I smirked. "I think she would know you're just going after her grandson. She seems to be a pretty smart woman."

Lola smiled widely. A pang hit my heart as she smiled, making me realize how much I loved her. Now, I wasn't usually a sappy person, but Lola truly was one of my favorite people.

Most people had some amazingly adorable story about how they met their best friend, but ours was quite boring, to be honest. Lola had moved to Washington from California when we were in third grade. I remember the day she walked into my home room class and everyone went silent. Her red hair was curly and wild, and her freckled face was excited. I envied her bright red hair the moment I saw it, since I had boring light brown hair, which was the color of nothing in particular. Her hair was like flaming fire.

"Hi!" She had exclaimed, "I'm Lola. Lola Watkins."

That day, we were partnered up to work on a poster about the taiga biome. We started playing together at recess and sitting with each other at lunch and eventually we reached a point where we were inseparable. We had been best friends for years and I hoped it would always remain that way. There was one time in seventh grade we got into a huge argument and I was a bit worried that our friendship was over, but we managed to patch things up.

I had been talking to some girls in the hall and they had asked me who Lola had a crush on, since they were sure this guy in our grade had a crush on her. Me, being the jealous freak I was, the one that nobody had a crush on, said something along the lines of: "Are you sure he has a crush on her? With her carrot top hair?" My voice made it clear that I thought it was unbelievable he'd have a crush on her. Lola happened to walk up at the exact same time I said it and heard everything. I looked over my shoulder and saw her face crumple before she spun around and left without saying a word. I started crying and we didn't speak for days, since I was sure she didn't want to hear from me, even if I was going to apologize. My mom eventually gave me a lecture, to which I listened to. I went over to Lola's house and brought her a whole gift basket. Right when she opened the door, I pulled her into a hug.

"I'm so sorry," I had cried, "I was just jealous."

She didn't accept my apology right away, but after a few moments of talking, we burst out laughing about something stupid. It had felt so good to laugh with her again.

"Abbi!" Lola of the present exclaimed, pulling me out of the past.

I blinked. "Oh, sorry. What were you saying?" I petted Charlie absentmindedly. He rolled over and put his paws up the in the air, clearly enjoying himself.

"We should plan a trip for this summer," she said excitedly, "We could go to Florida or something. Just the two of us."

I spun the thought in my mind and got just as excited as her. "We totally should!" I sang out, "That would be so fun!"

"Do you think our parents would let us?" She asked, a frown dampening her excitement.

I shrugged. "I'm sure I could convince my mom. I turn eighteen this summer. In fact, let's go ask her right now."

We tromped down the steps and plopped down on the couch. My mom looked up from her book, peering over her square reading glasses. "You guys are reminding me of children right now. What's up?"

"Not much," Lola said, grinning, "Except we have the most brilliant idea ever!"

My mom chuckled. "It's not going to be something I'm going to like, is it?"

"It's not bad," I told her, "We were thinking we want to go to Florida this summer. Probably after my birthday."

She shrugged. "Well, after you're eighteen I don't mind. As long as you're careful, that is."

Lola squealed. "You're the best! Abbi, let's go look for tickets!"

We ran back up to my room and powered up my laptop. After browsing ticket prices, we decided we would go in July. But, neither of us had enough money to be spending on our tickets yet, so we decided we would wait until later to buy them. I figured I would buy them after Sally paid me and Lola said she was going to buy hers when she got paid too. She worked as a barista at the coffee shop and she made decent money for our age.

"I'm so excited!" Lola hugged me tightly, "This will be so fun!"

I nodded excitedly. "Hopefully your parents let you." Lola's parents weren't super strict so I wasn't extremely worried that they would say no, but it was a possibility.

Lola and I were playing a board game at about two in the morning when I remembered something.

"Shoot!" I exclaimed, "I hate to cancel on our plans tomorrow, but I just remembered I have to go to the dress fitting." We had planned to go shopping.

Lola's face fell for a moment before it brightened again. "Maybe I could just come with you!"

I shrugged. "I guess you could, if you want."

She frowned. "Actually never mind, that would be kind of awkward if it's just the wedding party."

I laughed. "Whatever. Noah will be there." I hated it, but when I thought about seeing Noah, I felt a sort of excitement. I blamed it on the fact that I hardly ever talked to boys and that's why he was messing with my nerves. It was hard to explain because he was annoying, but he was also very attractive and it cancelled out his rudeness. Oh gosh, I was sounding like Lola. I needed to stop and remember that he had called me bland. And that he had left me at the store to sit by myself for forty-five minutes. But still, I felt a bit of anticipation about seeing him.

"What's that look for?" Lola giggled, "You have a major grimace on your face."

"Just thinking about how annoying Noah is," I said nonchalantly. Really, I was thinking about how repulsive it was that I was kind of attracted to him.