one - couches

calum's mom was passed out on the couch again. his other mom was out, as usual. the living room reeked of alcohol and tears with the muffled sound of harry potter and the deathly hallows part 2 playing on the tv, making everything much more upsetting. it's the part where ron and hermione finally kiss in the chamber of secrets, a scene that calum's way too familiar with. abc family had a harry potter marathon yet again. love never happens like that, it's just imagination; something that media wants you to think, calum thought while grabbing his sweater, heading to the front door.

"ma, i'm going to dr.harmon's now, i'll be back in a few hours or more. mom is picking me up, we're going to buy dinner," calum shouted, hoping that his mom heard him. he snatches the house keys from the key holder and walking out the door, away from the privacy and safety of his home and into the real world.

calum never really cared for nature that much. it had rained while he was in school so there were the remains of the weather dripping from tree leaves, causing him to put up the hood on his sweater. he kept his head down, staring at the ground and the people's shoes that he saw. his mind started to wander like it always did during the ten minute walk to his shrink's office.

why are butterflies so colorful? speaking of color, how do colors even work? why does red look like red and not like black or like blue? what shade of blue was my couch before it got so worn out that it didn't even look like blue anymore? oh look, it's a blue car. wait that car is coming towards me. fuck it's honking at me. i should start walking faster. fuck fuck fuck the driver is screaming at me what do i do? just keep walking, calum, he'll get over it. god dammit calum why did you bump into that girl? look, you made her drop all of her shit. be a gentleman and help her pick up her stu-- wait, she's already picked everything up. she's looking at me oh my god how do i react?

the girl smiled at him, saying "i'm sorry, i wasn't looking." 

no, i was the one who wasn't paying attention. i really am so so so sorry, i didn't mean to do that at all. don't apologize for my fuck ups. you're also really pretty, i like that hat, it looks really good on you.

"oh no, it was my fault, i wasn't paying attention," she laughs and waves good-bye to him, walking in the other direction. he gets to dr.harmon's office, opening the door and blankly waving to ms.jackson, earning a big smile and a greeting from her.

"hi, calum, you're thirty minutes early. just take a seat, do you want coffee or anything?"

yes, coffee would be the most perfect thing ever, i haven't gotten any sleep.

"no thanks, ms.jackson. i'll just read some of the magazines, thank you for the offer, though," he takes a seat on the soft couch, in the corner, where he always sat.

i should have gotten coffee, how am i supposed to stay awake? no, you're just going to bother her. she's obviously doing a lot of work, you don't need to distract her because of your personal problems. you're 17-- no i'm 16. you can make your own coffee. i can make my own coffee.

violet woke up on the couch, her dog sitting on her stomach. she rubs her eyes, forgetting that her heavy black makeup from last night wasn't washed off when she crashed at three a.m. 

"get up, you bum, we have school," her brother throws a pillow at her. "i have breakfast for you in the kitchen. think twice before going to a party on sunday night, okay?"

"i love you, jeff, you're the best brother ever," violet smiled and he laughed, telling her to get up again. she stood up, soon falling to the ground, also forgetting that she hadn't even bothered to take off her heels from last night.