Chapter 22 - Red Wedding

* * *

Busy and beautiful would both be understatements to the whole city of Portlandia on this day. None better known than by the heads of staff at the estate. Today was the day, the citizens were dressed in bright festive colors, every street and window seemed to have decorations. Food was shared with strangers, happy music played, and possibly a few too many barrels of wine were stacked to prepare for that night.

The sky seemed to grace them with clear blue weather with only a few distant handfuls of clouds with the starting seasons chill.

"You're so handsome," Mrs. Gosling blubbered standing before a slightly flustered yet embarrassed Obitus who was looking everywhere but the woman. "My big scary skeleton all grown up" she wailed and hugged Griffith whose fur bristled, obviously flustered as he handed her yet another handkerchief.

"Please Mrs. Gosling, do not cry on my coat again, I do not have time to clean it" he scolded stiffly.

"Your such a sour mellon, how can you not be happy" Mrs. Griffith huffed tossing a towel at him to which he easily avoided.

"I am quite pleased, thank you, I trust you saw that Lady Darra was prepared before coming here" he questioned as he was finishing the final touches on Obitus's outfit. He wore a black uniform, trimmed in red and gold. A bold red sash across his right shoulder to his waist pinned to his breast with the symbol of the city. A black fur-lined collar stood and neatly trimmed his coat as it swept down, disappearing at the front.

Griffiths question drew Obitus's attention, even though he had attempted to see the dress Mrs.Gosling had been fitting to Darra for the last few months he hadn't even seen a sketch of the dress, not even the fabric when it had arrived.

"Of course I did!" she said loudly in mock irritation as she sat in a nearby chair, resting her feet. "She looks beautiful, and you can stop dropping those eaves mister, you didn't get a peep outa me before, you ain't going to get it now," she said eyeing Obitus who jerked his head forward.

A knock came to the door and Mr. Tremelle came in with a happy smile. "You have a visitor," he said.

Obitus sighed looking a bit annoyed, he had stopped entertaining guests since yesterday afternoon, they were starting to wear on his patience, he was a bundle of nerves as is. "Who is it?" he asked.

"Who else?" an unseen voice called from the hallway.

The voice made Obitus's eyes light up in surprise, he was unsure if he would come after what had happened between them. As the door opened without his confirmation it just made him stare as Lord Reindl entered holding a box in his hand, a few more in his attendants' hands behind him.

"Hello old friend" he hummed eyeing over Obitus outfit with a pleased expression.

"Hello, old friend" Obitus agreed and stepped forward away from Griffith. "About what happened before" he started not good at apologies, especially in company.

Lord Reindl raised his hand with a warm familiar smile, "It never happened" he offered to which Obitus appreciatively gently nodded and they both sighed, a weight off their shoulders.

Obitus tapped his claws together impatient but he was almost overflowing with happiness, though he did his best not to show it. He stood at the top of the altar that was made at the top of the gate overlooking the city below them. Flowers and banners decorated around the estate walls and the city. The whole city seemed to have gathered at the gates to gaze up at the sight before them. Darra had insisted that the people should be welcome to their wedding, he was happy to include them as well.